Reverse Banlist Style Play

Got some predictions for the next F/L list? You can discuss all about them in here.
Bstoilov

Reverse Banlist Style Play

Post #1 by Bstoilov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:01 am

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post on this Forum, but the idea I am trying to present here is one that I have been thinking of for a while now and I finally decided to chance posting it.

This little idea of mine came one day as I was browsing the older Booster Packs, Structure Decks and Archetypes the YuGiOh! game has presented us over the years. A lot of them I remember with a great fondness and became a little saddened that they were but forgotten relics due to the frankly ridiculous speeds the game is played with nowadays. Then it hit me that the reason the game is so fast is because of how the most recent archetypes are over-reliant on OTK and FTK style play, made possible by the 3 copies maximum rule. And I asked myself; what if you couldn't have 3 copies?

After some thumb twiddling and staring at the ceiling I came up with a tentative idea: Make it so only specific cards can have 3 copies and make every other card be at a limit of a SINGLE copy! Figuring out which cards to keep at 3 and which not to, was not as hard a task as I originally envisioned; Keep only 'Searcher' cards, such as 'Masked Dragon', 'Giant Rat', 'Flying Kamakuri' at 3 along with cards that require multiple copies to summon a specific monster such as 'Cyber Ogre 2', 'Cyber-End Dragon', 'Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon' and the like. Exceptions would also need to be made for cards like "Peten The Dark Clown" and 'Troop Dragon', whose effects require multiple copies.

So that's my idea; make it harder to OTK and FTK by reducing the Decks' possibilities to pull off such tricks. If I am not mistaken this might even give older Decks and Archetypes a chance to make a comeback!

I would love to hear what you guys think and share your own perspective.

Hammerfall!!!

Post #2 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

First of , this is not something revolutionary you are thinking of here :P.

It has a name and its called Highlander.Google it if you want to learn more and i have played that style of play quite a few times and i can give you a better insight, i think.Another important thing to do is make 60 card deck mandatory!40 cards is too much of an advantage to not do it but then you have no space to experiment with the thousand of cool forgotten cards that this game has.

In this game consistency is EVERYTHING and by allowing searchers @ 3 in the game we just change the meta to archetypes that have a bunch of searchers, which you can quickly realize is still just the new archetypes...

Even if we only allow cards like "Peten the Dark Clown" at 3 we we make them meta choices cuz they are consistent and we are thinking of a Reverse Banlist style of play to ESCAPE the meta right and promote variety , RIGHT?

There are only a few cards like that anyway so they are not gonna be missed much but now that we have everything limited to 1 ALL kinds of cool and forgotten cards can finally see play!!!

Also this is never going to become an official thing or anything , not even a section on DB ,so forget about that.

What we can do , however , is make a Discord group with players who are sick of Konami controlling the game and our choices with their shitty banlist and we can play Highlander and finally have fun!

Another major problem with the game being too centralized are link monsters and the link mechanic.We need to create some kind of limit to that mechanic as well but i can't think of what exactly atm.

Bstoilov

Post #3 by Bstoilov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am

Hm. I will check Highlander. Thank you for the information Hammerfall! :)

PS: I never thought this was revolutionary. I am well aware I am not the smartest person in the world or the only one with ideas. :P I just haven't really seen people talking about it on DB that much, so I decided to see if I can get a response. I'm glad the first person who did respond was someone with actual critical feedback.

Bstoilov

Post #4 by Bstoilov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am

Oh and Hammerfall; Your opinion on the Banned List concerning Highlander style of play?

Hammerfall!!!

Post #5 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 am

I think we can fix all issues easily without any crazy rules cuz i remembered that you can have "Classic" duel on here.

Basically, 60 Card Classic Highlander.Thats what it should be called and its its self explanatory.We play classic duels (so no links) with all cards limited to 1 and we must have 60 card decks. :)

I've played like this and i can tell you on avarage duels are way more balanced with way more back and forth and longer with huge variety to possible decks.Its just so much fun :).

Hammerfall!!!

Post #6 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 am

About banlist i think if we just follow the ruleset i described in my last post we can just use the konami banlist for a while and get a feel of things and then we can talk about the banlist.

So 60 Card Classic duels with everycard limited to 1 except the cards Banned on the konami list.Those should be still remain banned until we get more people to play like this so we can have more opinions on whether we should have our own custom banlist or not.

EDIT: I wil make a discord group called - 60 Card Classic Highlander - we gotta make this happen.
Last edited by Hammerfall!!! on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bstoilov

Post #7 by Bstoilov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am

I definitely believe you about the back and forth! :) Best game I've ever played was against a guy with a mixed Inca/Agent deck that lasted for over an hour! XD

And while Links are out, what about Synchros, XYZ and... Ugh... Pendulums? u_______u

What about cards like Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon that require 3 BEWD's? :o

Hammerfall!!!

Post #8 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 am

Well , did you ever play "Classic" duels on DB? DB has an option to host "Classic" duels and there the rules and the field are just like they were before links are added with the old rules, so you can summon xyz , synchros.Well for cards like BEUD you have to use cards like :

1x http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blue-Eyes_White_Dragon
1x http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Versago_the_Destroyer
1x http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Elemental_HERO_Prisma

Bstoilov

Post #9 by Bstoilov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

Fair enough! :)

Thanks for the info! :) I sadly have to stop this discussion for work! XD

see you around Hammerfall!

Hammerfall!!!

Post #10 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am

Cool and i have to go do some stuff too , but i added you as friend on DB so next time we are both online i will be ready with the discord and we can get this going!

Hammerfall!!!

Post #11 by Hammerfall!!! » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Hey man i have created the discord server. I am gonna post on a few places about this and i hope we can get some more players interested in this so we have more fun Yu-Gi-Oh duels.

For anybody that randomly stumbles upon this post , feel free to join this discord server where we will be having Classic Highlander duels :P

https://discord.gg/5ydJyDz

Return to “Forbidden/Limited List Discussions”