The Master of Faster: An Introduction to Resonators!

Discuss your favorite deck and its strategies, and show off your latest variant.
Renji Asuka

The Master of Faster: An Introduction to Resonators!

Post #1 by Renji Asuka » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:28 am

So first of all before we begin this guide, if you are interested come and join the Dominion of Red Rising Discord for anything RDA related, we'll even help with non RDA based decks. You can join here: https://discord.com/invite/jCSw8Wmqf2 With that out of the way let's begin.

Resonators have quite a few ways to first run the deck which I'll start giving a brief explanation of each.

You can go to the classic Red variant using cards like Red Warg or Red Sprinter. These Red cards are mostly just for flavor but are decent in their own right allowing you to extend your plays.

You then also have the Inca variant in which you use Ascator, Dawnwalker with Fire Ant Ascator and Supay, Duskwalker with Supay which let's you make a "free" Level 8 Synchro and a "free" level 6 synchro respectively.

You then also have the Performage Resonator build, in which you run Hat Tricker and Damage Juggler to add more consistency into the deck. Damage Juggler able to Search Hat Tricker which is then used as an extender to help bring out multiple synchro monsters.

You also have the Rokket Variant, in which you use Rokket Tracer with Rokket Recharger and Quick Launch to extend plays. I haven't toyed around with this build, so I don't have much info regarding it.

You also have what is known as Calamity Turbo, which is all about bringing out Hot Red Dragon Archfiend King Calamity on the opponent's turn to shut down every effect they have and your opponent can't respond to it. You do this by Synchro Call, Synchro Transmission and Burning Soul. Both Synchro Call and Burning Soul can be Ghost Belled while I believe Synchro Transmission can be Ashed, so watch out for that. But the pay off is worth it.

With the variants out of the way, let's get into the nitty gritty and let you know what important cards do in this deck.

Crimson Resonator
Dark/Level 2/Fiend/Tuner/Effect
If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If the only other monster you control is exactly 1 DARK Dragon Synchro Monster: You can Special Summon up to 2 "Resonator" monsters from your hand or Deck, except "Crimson Resonator". You can only use each effect of "Crimson Resonator" once per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except DARK Dragon Synchro Monsters, the turn you activate either of this card's effects.

This is your best tuner in the deck, able to really push your plays without even using your normal summon. How you might ask? We'll get into how later ;) That being said, you run 3.

Red Resonator
Fire/Level 2/Fiend/Tuner/Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; gain LP equal to its ATK. You can only use this effect of "Red Resonator" once per turn.

Arguably your 2nd best Tuner, Just Normal Summon this, Special Summon any level 4 from hand to let you go into Red Rising Dragon, which in turn brings back Red Resonator. Run 2 - 3.

Synkron Resonator
Dark/Level 1/Fiend/Tuner/Effect
If a Synchro Monster is on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Synkron Resonator" once per turn this way. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Resonator" monster in your Graveyard, except "Synkron Resonator"; add it to your hand.

This is your best Level 1 Tuner you can run in the deck, not only can it Special Summon itself, but it can also recycle a Resonator for more plays! Definitely run 2 - 3.

Creation Resonator
Wind/Level 3/Fiend/Tuner/Effect
If you control a Level 8 or higher Synchro Monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand).

While this resonator seems "good", it's really only useful for going into your Level 12 Synchros, while getting a level 8 Synchro isn't "hard" it being a level 3 can make things a bit of a challenge when setting up plays. Run 1 cause it still comes in handy.

Wandering King Wildwind
Dark/Level 4/Fiend/Effect
If you control a Fiend-Type Tuner with 1500 or less ATK, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you attempt this, you cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn, except Synchro Monsters. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 Fiend-Type Tuner with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.

This is your best Level 4 monster in the deck. Able to SS itself and search a Fiend Tuner is just really good. This + Crimson Resonator let's you make so many plays without using your Normal Summon! Mandatory 3 of hands down.

Resonator Call
Normal Spell
Add 1 "Resonator" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Your OG ROTA of the deck, able to search out any resonator? Why would you run it at less than 3?

Resonator Command
Quick-Play Spell
Discard 1 "Resonator" monster; add 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Resonator Command" per turn.

This is your 2nd ROTA of the deck, I typically don't run it in my build as I typically don't have an issue with having Non-Tuners in hand. So depending on your build and if you're struggling, it's a 0-3 of.

So now you have your core of what every build should be running, so let's talk about some other cards you can throw into the deck that some of the variants run.

Witch of the Black Forest
Dark/Level 4/Spellcaster/Effect
If this card is sent from the field to the GY: Add 1 monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Deck to your hand, but you cannot activate cards, or the effects of cards, with that name for the rest of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Witch of the Black Forest" once per turn.

I hear you screaming "But Renji! You can't activate your monster's effects! So this card is bad for the deck!" and this is where you're wrong and right at the same time. Yes I can't activate the monster's effects that I searched, however Wildwind does not activate when Special Summoning itself, nor does Synkron Resonator as well as 1 more card I'm about to go into. Needless to say, you definitely want to play 3 of these for searching while you Synchro Summon!

Performage Hat Tricker
Earth/Level 4/Spellcaster/Effect
If 2 or more monsters are on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When a card or effect is activated that would inflict damage to you (Quick Effect): You can place 1 Performage Counter on this card (max. 3), then make that effect damage to you 0. When the 3rd Performage Counter is placed on this card, its ATK/DEF become 3300.

You know how I said the Performage Variant was a thing? Well, even without Damage Juggler, this card still helps the deck out by being an extender. 2 Monster requirement isn't hard for it. And it's Special Summoning effect doesn't activate as well! Run 2 ^-^

Now let's talk about some traps you can run in the deck ^-^

Red Reign
Normal Trap
If you control a Level 8 or higher Synchro Monster: Banish all monsters on the field, except the monster(s) with the highest Level, also the remaining face-up monsters on the field are unaffected by other card effects, except their own, until the end of this turn. If a DARK Dragon Synchro Monster is Synchro Summoned to your field while this card is in your GY: You can add this card to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Red Reign" once per turn.

This card is such a power house. Does your opponent have cards you don't want them to have on field? Just ruin their day with this. And considering you can recycle it just by Synchro Summoning into any Dark Dragon Synchros, you can run some interesting tech cards like Performapal Popperup, or Foolish Burial Goods to get it into GY and grab it back while you make plays! As for how many copies you should run, I personally say 1 is enough, while some in the discord say 3. So run with however many you prefer.

Synchro Call
Normal Trap
Target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but it has its effects negated (if any), and if you do, immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon 1 DARK Dragon or Fiend-Type Synchro Monster using only monsters you control as Materials, including the Summoned monster.

Synchro Transmission
Normal Trap
During the Main Phase: Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon 1 Synchro Monster using monsters you control as material. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Synchro Monster in your GY; return it to the Extra Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Synchro Transmission" once per turn.

Burning Soul
Quick-Play Spell
If you control a Level 8 or higher Synchro Monster: Add 1 card from your GY to your hand, except "Burning Soul", then, immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon using monsters you control as material. For the rest of this turn after this card resolves, your opponent cannot target Synchro Monsters on the field with card effects. You can only activate 1 "Burning Soul" per turn.

Yes, I know I talked about these in Calamity Turbo, but it is pretty important to lump them together as they effectively come to the same result. Even just running 2 - 3 of any of these is important in the deck to allow your deck to go first and have an easier time with it. I personally recommend Synchro Call and Synchro Transmission running them at 2 each. While Burning Soul is nice, I just like the 2nd effect of Synchro Transmission more, and well Synchro Call is good as it can bring a tuner back so you have to plan a bit with your GY and Synchro Call being able to activate during the opponent's Standby Phase is really good. But pick whichever you rather run.

Now as for Extra Deck monsters, let's get into all the main synchros you will commonly use.

Red Rising Dragon
Dark/Level 6/Dragon/Synchro/Effect
1 Fiend Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target 1 "Resonator" monster in your GY; Special Summon it. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck the turn you activate this effect, except DARK Dragon Synchro Monsters. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 2 Level 1 "Resonator" monsters in your GY; Special Summon both.

This allows you to go into level 7, 8, or 9 Synchros depending on the Tuner you bring out. Usually you'll recycle Crimson or Red Resonator for 8, but be aware that you can bring back Creation Resonator (if it was in the GY for some reason) to play a level 9 ;)

Now as for your Level 8 Synchros, there is a ton we can go over, however there is 2 that really stand out that are non RDA related cards that should be talked about before we get into the RDA level 8 Synchros

Dark End Dragon
Dark/Level 8/Dragon/Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner DARK monsters
Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card loses 500 ATK and DEF, and you send that target to the Graveyard.

Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, and if you do, you can add 1 excavated LIGHT or DARK monster to your hand, also send the remaining cards to the GY. You can banish 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your hand and/or GY, except this card; Special Summon this card from your GY, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon" once per turn.

Dark End Dragon can be used to SEND a monster your opponent controls to the GY, this will allow you to bypass any destruction immunity card just at the cost of dropping its ATK. While Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon can not only give you a free card (odds are), but it can also bring itself back after you Synchro Summon using it as material to help push your plays even better. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
This card's name becomes "Red Dragon Archfiend" while it is on the field or in the GY. Once per turn: You can destroy as many Special Summoned Effect Monsters on the field as possible with ATK less than or equal to this card's (other than this card), then inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed.

This card can allow you to win a game by time if you were in an event. That aside, it's name becoming Red Dragon Archfiend is rather important, especially when it comes to Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Bane.

Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss
Dark/Level 9/Dragon/Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner + 1 non-Tuner DARK Dragon Synchro Monster
(Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; negate its effects until the end of this turn. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 Tuner in your GY; Special Summon it in Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss" once per turn.

Being able to negate any card is really good. This monster should be on your end board when going first and even going 2nd, this card is still pretty good.

Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Bane
Dark/Level 10/Dragon/Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner + 1 non-Tuner DARK Dragon Synchro Monster
You can Tribute 1 monster, then target 1 "Red Dragon Archfiend" monster in your GY; Special Summon it. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can Special Summon 2 Tuners with the same Level (1 from your Deck and 1 from your GY) in Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Bane" once per turn.

If you have an excess resonator or a resonator with an awkward level OR maybe you have a Hat Tricker on board, you can always turn it back into your Level 8 Red Dragon Archfiend for even more synchros!

Hot Red Dragon Archfiend King Calamity
Dark/Level 12/Dragon/Synchro/Effect
2 Tuners + 1 non-Tuner DARK Dragon Synchro Monster
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can activate this effect; for the rest of this turn, your opponent cannot activate cards, also cards your opponent controls cannot activate their effects. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation. If this card destroys a monster by battle: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster's original ATK. If this card in its owner's possession is destroyed by an opponent's card: You can target 1 Level 8 or lower DARK Dragon Synchro Monster in your GY; Special Summon it.

You heard me talking about this card for awhile, able to shut down your opponent's effects can just end turns!

Red Supernova Dragon
3 Tuners + 1+ non-Tuner Synchro Monsters
Must first be Synchro Summoned. Gains 500 ATK for each Tuner in your GY. Cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn, when your opponent's monster effect is activated, or when an opponent's monster declares an attack (Quick Effect): You can activate this effect; banish this card, also banish all cards your opponent controls. Once per turn, during your next End Phase after this card was banished by its own effect: Special Summon this banished card.

I hear you, I hear you, 3 tuners? That's way too much! But you forget something, if you can set up a Calamity play, you can set this up with just an extra step. Being able to banish everything your opponent controls and itself when your opponent activates a Monster Effect, well geeze, say RIP to whatever field they wanted to make! It's definitely worth the requirement!

Here is a couple of combos you can do with Resonators!

Combo: Burning Soul + Abyss
My opening hand when doing this combo: Crimson Resonator, Witch of the Black Forest, Burning Soul, Lost Wind, Performage Hat Tricker

1: Special Summon "Crimson Resonator" from hand
2: Normal Summon "Witch of the Black Forest" from hand
3: Synchro Summon into Red Rising Dragon
4: CL 1 "Witch of the Black Forest", CL 2 "Red Rising Dragon", Special Summon "Crimson Resonator", add "Synkron Resonator" to hand.
5: "Crimson Resonator" effect to Special Summon "Double Resonator" from Deck and Special Summon "Creation Resonator" from Deck.
6: Synchro Summon using "Red Rising Dragon" + "Crimson Resonator" into "Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon"
7: "Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon" effect to mill 5 (Performage Damage Juggler, Popperup, Lost Wind, Burning Soul, Synkron Resonator) adding "Synkron Resonator" to hand.
8: Special Summon "Synkron Resonator"
9: Synchro Summon using "Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon" + "Synkron Resonator" as materials to Synchro Summon "Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss".
10: Banish Synkron Resonator + Damage Juggler to Special Summon "Chaos Ruler, the Chaotic Magical Dragon"
11: Set "Burning Soul" + "Lost Wind".

Combo: Supernova + Abyss

Hand: Crimson Resonator + Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite

1. Special Crimson, Normal Zephyros
2. Synchro into Red Rising which revives Crimson
3. Activate Crimson's effect, Special Summon Synkron and Creation Resonator
4. Special Summon Zephyros back by returning Synkron Resonator
5. Tune Zephyros and Crimson for Red Rising which revives Crimson
6. Special Summon the returned Synkron Resonator from the hand
7. Tune Crimson, Creation and Synkron Resonator with Red Rising into Red Supernova Dragon
8. Synkron's effect adds Creation from the GY, Special Summon it
9. Tune Creation with Red Rising Dragon for Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss

So I hope this introduction gets you in the mood to mess around with Resonators!
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Return to “Deck Discussions”