Old Style Chaos Deck

Discuss your favorite deck and its strategies, and show off your latest variant.
~ Bunniee ~

Old Style Chaos Deck

Post #1 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 pm

I've been watching videos of older yugioh formats and deck building was much more interesting back then. I decided to make a non-linear chaos deck like the days of old with some newer cards as well as some older ones. It's a very defensive build using a large amount of traps and some hand traps and combined with the slow, grindy engine makes for something like a control deck.

I'll explain some of what may appear to be strange choices.

Genex Ally Birdman - Birdman is a really good card for the deck, recycling +1 monsters and widening the rage of possible synchro and xyz plays and makes summoning trishula a realistic possibility. You can use it to return a tour guide to the hand to get a second sangan summon from it or flip a GK spy, summon another spy, return one of the spy's to your hand for birdman then summon arcanite magician or a black rose if need be. You then still have a spy in hand to grab descendant for a free removal.

The Gravekeeper Engine (1 descendant 3 spy) - I am using these because its a good amount of dark monsters with effects that suit the deck and I don't have to run other cards to make them work (apart from running 1 descendant to make spy better, of course). While slow, this mini GK engine is actually frequently useful and if you have traps/hand traps to keep your opponent at bay a free removal or free tribute for caius can give you important momentum. After trying only 2 spy I decided 3 was the right number because it maximises the chances of me seeing spy before descendant and increases the frequency of when I can go for an arcanite play with birdman. It's also great to see it early on if you open with DAD in your hand.

Creature Swap - When you're using a slow deck that doesn't run 40 searchable cards sometimes you can't always get over a monster your opponent brings out so swapping it for one of your little guys like a veiler is an easy way out of a bad spot. Of course it's much better when swapping a flipped spy or a sangan.

If you are wondering about anything else feel free to ask.

While this deck isn't anywhere near competitive I'd like to hear any suggestions you have that may make it more versatile, consistent or better at what its trying to do.

Monsters - 20

2x Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
1x Caius the Shadow Monarch
1x Chaos Sorcerer
1x Cyber Dragon
1x Dark Armed Dragon
3x Effect Veiler
1x Genex Ally Birdman
1x Gravekeeper's Descendant
3x Gravekeeper's Spy
1x Maxx "C"
2x Sangan
2x Thunder King Rai-Oh
1x Tour Guide From the Underworld

Spells - 8

3x Cosmic Cyclone
2x Creature Swap
1x Dark Hole
1x Foolish Burial
1x Raigeki

Traps - 12

2x Call of the Haunted
3x Evenly Matched
2x Quaking Mirror Force
3x Solemn Strike
1x Solemn Warning
1x Torrential Tribute

Extra Deck - 15

2x Chimeratech Megafleet Dragon
1x Ally of Justice Catastor
1x Arcanite Magician
1x Armory Arm
1x Black Rose Dragon
1x Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Hot Red Dragon Archfiend
1x Scrap Dragon
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1x Leviair the Sea Dragon
1x Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1x The Phantom Knights of Break Sword

Also ROFL at tour guide being limited. Rank 3s too strong!!!

Red Herring

Post #2 by Red Herring » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:52 am

No Ghost Ogre? Also, is Caius still usable outside of monarchs?

Akito Hideyoshi

Post #3 by Akito Hideyoshi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Wont you try light and darknesd dragon
Image Image

Return to “Deck Discussions”