GOAT FORMAT, PRIORITY, WRONG JUDGE RULINGS

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
theNano

GOAT FORMAT, PRIORITY, WRONG JUDGE RULINGS

Post #1 by theNano » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Hello, so i have just come across a situation which i would like to point out

The situation is:

I summon Rescue Cat and send to graveyard to activate effect.
Opponent activates Ring of Destruction targeting Cat claiming i did not DECLARE priority.

https://www.goatformat.com/home/6-facts-that-you-should-know-about-priority

Now, as this link will help explaining, that Ring thing just can't even be tried because i ALWAYS HAVE priority and just as the link describes, I DONT NEED TO DECLARE PRIORITY, while i should otherwise DECLARE i PASS PRIORITY, or the opponent should ASK IF I PASS PRIORITY, just like with Trap Dustshoot.
In any other case IM ALWAYS assumed to be using priority, because thats how things naturally proceed.
ESPECIALLY when my intent is clear.
ESPECIALLY when my opponent is CLEARLY trying to gain an unfair advantage and i am CLEARLY NOT.

"When a Chain has finished resolving, or when a monster is successfully Summoned, the turn player always has the right to activate a fast effect or a monster's ignition effect before the opponent is allowed to respond. You do not need to "declare" this right in order to use it."

The Judges agreeing with my opponent then took this right away from me.

Here is the link to the game

https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=372174-19088845

Now a judge was called 3 times for different reasons.
I would like to point out the 2nd time, when the opponent called a judge for me having discarded Rescue Cat to activate its effect when he had no backrow, and the judge giving ME a warning and HIM NO WARNING for slowplaying.

I think this is a horrible attitude for judges who, outside of not having knowledge for the rulings they are providing, are also HELPING RULESHARKING AND BAD BEHAVIOR instead of going against it, which is the worst thing in my opinion.
This applies to both the 1st case, where there was no way for me to gain unfair advantage (for something which was in lines with the rules anyway) while there was a way for my opponent to gain unfair advantage (for something which was against the rules anyway) and they helped that AND the 2nd case, where clearly my intention was providing NO POTENTIAL ISSUE OR DOUBT and my opponent HAD NO INTEREST in that thing going any other way, outside of potentially giving me a game loss for something which was NOT AFFECTING THE DUEL IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY.

I hope that the PRIORITY RULES get reviewed so that we can have games proceed properly and according to rules, but i also hope in the future there will be some addiitonal interest in Moral and Situation/Intention Knowledge while choosing or giving judges formation and that rulesharking starts being discouraged instead of encouraged
sry for the bad words
Last edited by theNano on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaseer

Post #2 by chaseer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 pm

In the world where its easy to forget about Priority (since its removal in 2011), the judge is correct about the need to declare Priority in Goat format. The one that you link, is not necessarily a guideline in DB, where you don't have to declare Priority in Goat format. Its only fair that players must declare Priority in that format, otherwise it creates unnecessary issues like the one you had.

Also, him being slowplaying is also unwarranted. He has reasons to say that you didn't declare Priority effect, and so a judge call happened.

Lastly, this isn't the place to rant about it.
DB username: chaseer
Blizzard ID: Elkaz#1410

"First, seek the counsel of the Lord."

theNano

Post #3 by theNano » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 am

Can you please give me a link to the correct place instead of just saying 'hey you are wrong?'

Also you clearly haven't watched the video cause the slow play isn't referred to the same situation

Also NO, its not fair i need to declare priority cause I ALWAYS HAVE PRIORITY.
You should have read the link i posted and it would have let you understand better a GAME MECHANIC which is not an ACTIVATED EFFECT and that is ONGOING and consequentially not needed to be declared.
I'm not posting uninformed i'm just going by what goes in line with the rulebook, with moral behavior and intent consideration all of which judges went against.

aronsdw

Post #4 by aronsdw » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Rescue Cat is summoned solely for using its effect so it would be dumb to think that the player is not doing it on their first oportunity to do so.
Otherwise the opponent should also be asking if the player is using priority or if he's giving it away, since after activating Rescue Cat it is send to GY by cost leaving no targets for Ring to destroy.
This "priority window" the second judge talks about is never put into question on regular play since the turn player has to make it clear they are passing priority to the other player.

If this becomes precedent then people could start arguing about other common interactions as Exiled Force, Chaos Sorc or BLS where on summon no one would argue the intent is to use their effect with priority, unless said otherwise.

Shortcuts in the game happen all the time, people play while skipping phases. So even if in a perfect world It's only fair that peple play by declaring phases or in this case Priority. We shouldnt have to, specially playing on a format where it's such an impacting mechanic and where pretty much everyone uses it.

Discarding rescue cat as a short cut is like when people discard pot or grace when u have no backrow, it's annoying imo but calling a judge for it specially if u have no way of interaction is just petty lol.

Genexwrecker

Post #5 by Genexwrecker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm

This is something that should be posted in abuse reports.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

MMF

Post #6 by MMF » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:17 pm

chaseer wrote:In the world where its easy to forget about Priority (since its removal in 2011), the judge is correct about the need to declare Priority in Goat format. The one that you link, is not necessarily a guideline in DB, where you don't have to declare Priority in Goat format. Its only fair that players must declare Priority in that format, otherwise it creates unnecessary issues like the one you had.

incredible, not a single word of this post is correct

KameHouse

Post #7 by KameHouse » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 pm

chaseer wrote:In the world where its easy to forget about Priority (since its removal in 2011), the judge is correct about the need to declare Priority in Goat format. .

Priority was NOT removed in 2011. It still exists today, but is ruled under "fast effect timing" and "open and closed gamestates". It is described in depth at https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay ... iming.html

The only difference in Goat Format, is during the Main Phase, Turn Player has priority to activate a monster's Ignition Effect as Chain Link 1 (Box B in the chart). This most frequently comes up after a monster with an Ignition Effect is summoned (such as the case above with Rescue Cat), but could also occur after a chain has finished resolving.

Cards DO NOT have priority! Players do!

chaseer

Post #8 by chaseer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:30 pm

I guess I should've been clear about what I meant about Priority, since people are starting to bitch about it.

What I meant is the Priority to activate Ignition Effects during Summon window, which was removed in late 2011.
DB username: chaseer
Blizzard ID: Elkaz#1410

"First, seek the counsel of the Lord."

greg503

Post #9 by greg503 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:12 pm

"I would like to point out the 2nd time, when the opponent called a judge for me having discarded Rescue Cat to activate its effect when he had no backrow, and the judge giving ME a warning and HIM NO WARNING for slowplaying."
Taking shortcuts is improper procedure, of course you would get a warning for that.
But also, you should be declaring if you use Priority to activate effects in GOAT, proper communication with your opponent is key
Buy Floowandereeze

theNano

Post #10 by theNano » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 pm

greg503 wrote:"I would like to point out the 2nd time, when the opponent called a judge for me having discarded Rescue Cat to activate its effect when he had no backrow, and the judge giving ME a warning and HIM NO WARNING for slowplaying."
Taking shortcuts is improper procedure, of course you would get a warning for that.
But also, you should be declaring if you use Priority to activate effects in GOAT, proper communication with your opponent is key

people like you is the reason i made the post ^^

Return to “Rulings Q&A”