Activate without targets beforehand.

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Crimson7Reaper

Activate without targets beforehand.

Post #1 by Crimson7Reaper » Tue May 12, 2020 4:20 pm

So I need a confirmation that The Seven Spirit Gates Unleashed has the same ruling as Zombie Master/Lightsworn Lumina because their texts to discard 1 and special summon 1 from GY are worded completely differently. The ruling for Zombie Master and Lightsworn Lumina is that there needs to be a valid target already in the GY in order to pay their cost because they both require a target to activate in the first place. However, Seven Spirit Gates doesn't require a target during cost nor does it even target at resolution, it simply discards one and then special summons at resolution. I asked Resource Judge #4304 on this ruling, he proceeds to say "cards never target for cost" and after research I understand that BUT the cost and targeting in both Zombie Master/Lightsworn Lumina is what created their ruling while in Seven Spirit Gates there is only a cost.

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #2 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Spirit gates doesn't target, but you can't use its special summon effect without a monster in the graveyard beforehand.
b

Return to “Rulings Q&A”