Custom card ruling: two wicked avatar clones

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Shugunou

Custom card ruling: two wicked avatar clones

Post #1 by Shugunou » Sun May 10, 2020 12:23 pm

If I have two different monsters that each have the effect of the wicked avatar to have atk/def equal to the atk of the strongest monster +100, what would their totals be. Would they consider each other, and if they do, would that lead to an atk/def gaining loop.

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 pm

It's just like Mirage Knight and Wicked Avatar creating an infinite loop of gaining ATK. You would specifically have to create a clause in the card to only apply to monsters on your opponent's field for it to not loop.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #3 by Ir0n » Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 am

The Wicked Avatar explicitly makes an exception for other copies of itself in its effect, which makes room for the possibility of summoning 2 of them, both of which will always have the same ATK value. Unless you put such an exception in your own card, it would create an infinite loop if you summoned a second copy and thus it would be considered an illegal action, meaning you could not summon a second copy.

Renji Asuka wrote:It's just like Mirage Knight and Wicked Avatar creating an infinite loop of gaining ATK. You would specifically have to create a clause in the card to only apply to monsters on your opponent's field for it to not loop.

In this case The Wicked Avatar wins, as its ATK is never its original ATK (the effect text doesn't say "original"), while Mirage Knight only gains ATK equal to the original ATK of the monster he battles. So he gains 0 in this case against the Avatars 2900 and loses the battle.

Shugunou

Post #4 by Shugunou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:03 am

So, if I had the Wicked Avatar and a Card with the same effect called "Happy Avatar", and Wicked Avatar is on the field, I could not summon "Happy Avatar" because it would cause a loop? Is that correct?

greg503

Post #5 by greg503 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 pm

You cannot perform a manual action that would cause an illegal loop
Buy Floowandereeze

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #6 by Ir0n » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:44 am

Shugunou wrote:So, if I had the Wicked Avatar and a Card with the same effect called "Happy Avatar", and Wicked Avatar is on the field, I could not summon "Happy Avatar" because it would cause a loop? Is that correct?

You are correct. This would cause an infinite ATK gain loop so neither you nor your opponent would be allowed to perform the summon of "Happy Avatar".

Shugunou

Post #7 by Shugunou » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 am

Thanks for clearing that up.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”