Interrupted Kaiju Slumber Activation Requirements

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Zylefer

Interrupted Kaiju Slumber Activation Requirements

Post #1 by Zylefer » Thu May 07, 2020 1:44 am

So for the spell card "Interrupted Kaiju Slumber," it says to destroy as many monsters on the field. However, it doesn't say minimum 1 (btw this is all hypothetical I wouldn't activate it for no reason). So, HYPOTHETICALLY, could you activate it to special summon 2 kaijus on the board (1 on each side) even if no monsters get destroyed in the process?

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #2 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 am

yes you can activate it if the monsters don't get destroyed, there still needs to be monsters on the field though to activate it
b

mevakama

Post #3 by mevakama » Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 am

I've had it ruled multiple times that you need monsters on the field that can be destroyed to activate, but if no monsters are destroyed, no summons occur. "Destroy as many monsters on the field as possible" is effectively "destroy all monsters (min 1)" so no destruction means no summons.

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #4 by Ir0n » Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 am

mevakama wrote:I've had it ruled multiple times that you need monsters on the field that can be destroyed to activate, but if no monsters are destroyed, no summons occur. "Destroy as many monsters on the field as possible" is effectively "destroy all monsters (min 1)" so no destruction means no summons.

This is also how I've had it ruled by the judges at locals and regionals ever since the card came out. You can activate it if there are monsters on the field (even if there already are kaijus) but if either nothing gets destroyed by Slumber's effect OR a Kaiju survives the destruction (e. g. by using forbidden lance) no Kaijus are Summoned to either side of the field.

mevakama

Post #5 by mevakama » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 am

This is also how I've had it ruled by the judges at locals and regionals ever since the card came out. You can activate it if there are monsters on the field (even if there already are kaijus) but if either nothing gets destroyed by Slumber's effect OR a Kaiju survives the destruction (e. g. by using forbidden lance) no Kaijus are Summoned to either side of the field.[/quote]

Also on this vein if there are monsters that can be destroyed during open gamestate then it is a legal activation, however if no monsters can be destroyed it cannot be activated. Similarly if during resolution there are no longer monsters that can be destroyed, i.e. I:P chained, then no kaijus are summoned

Return to “Rulings Q&A”