Magicians Combination

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Murdock147

Magicians Combination

Post #1 by Murdock147 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Can Magicians Combination be activated in response to a card that is not activating its effect. For instance, A continuous trap that has an ignition like effect like True Draco Apocalypse. The moment its flipped up but is not activating the effect to half opponents monsters ATK stats.

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #2 by Ir0n » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:43 am

By the wording on Magician's Combination you can: "Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated". True Draco Apocalypse can activate its ignition effects upon activation, but doesn't have to. However it would still start a chain and thus you should be able to respond with Combination.
Since it doesn't negate the activation or keep the entire card negated like Navigation, I'd assume you resolve the Summoning part and then nothing further happens. In this particular case I would ask my opponent if they wanted to use the effect of Apocalypse upon activation and if they said no, I'd wait with Combination until they did.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”