Why Aren't Sending from Hand to GY and Discarding the Same?

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
jwillie4eva
Mood:

Why Aren't Sending from Hand to GY and Discarding the Same?

Post #1 by jwillie4eva » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:03 pm

So I realize that this may sound a bit odd, but why aren't effects that read "Send Your Entire Hand to the GY" and Discarding not considered the same thing? Is there an official Konami ruling on this? It seems to me like it would ultimately make a lot of cards more viable in the game.
Proud creator of the Rabid Archetype. If you want to play them, they're available in the Custom Cards database. Have fun.

Current Deck IRL: Rokkets Budget Build

Current Deck DB: Some kind of Cyberse Deck that doesn't involve Salad

Sries Mslaiks

Post #2 by Sries Mslaiks » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:24 pm

Hand destruction has a ruling on it. Discarding is a keyword, without that keyword it is not discarding in Yugioh.

jwillie4eva
Mood:

Post #3 by jwillie4eva » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Sries Mslaiks wrote:Hand destruction has a ruling on it. Discarding is a keyword, without that keyword it is not discarding in Yugioh.

Okay, thanks for explaining this to me!
Proud creator of the Rabid Archetype. If you want to play them, they're available in the Custom Cards database. Have fun.

Current Deck IRL: Rokkets Budget Build

Current Deck DB: Some kind of Cyberse Deck that doesn't involve Salad

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #4 by Ir0n » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:47 am

In a way it's like the words "fruit" and "apple": every apple is a fruit, but not every fruit is an apple. Likewise every discard is sending cards to the GY, but not every Sending cards to the GY is discarding. As the other person said: Keywords are important. When I first learned about this I was confused, too, but you get used to this kind of stuff when playing the game long enough xD

Return to “Rulings Q&A”