Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow Ruling

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Hyde

Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow Ruling

Post #1 by Hyde » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Gofu card text:

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) while you control no monsters. When this card is Special Summoned from the hand: You can Special Summon 2 "Vague Shadow Tokens" (Winged Beast-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0), but they cannot be Tributed or be used as Synchro Material. You can banish this card and 1 or more face-up non-Tuners you control, then target 1 "Blackwing" Synchro Monster in your Graveyard whose Level equals the total Levels the banished monsters had on the field; Special Summon it, and if you do, it is treated as a Tuner.

my question revolves around this part:

You can banish this card and 1 or more face-up non-Tuners you control, then target 1 "Blackwing" Synchro Monster in your Graveyard whose Level equals the total Levels the banished monsters had on the field; Special Summon it, and if you do, it is treated as a Tuner.

can you banish the tokens as part of the cost for the special summon of the synchro monster like you can with Unibird? I only ask cause the wording here is a little confusing since it says "the banished monsters had" which has me thinking that the monsters used for cost absolutely have to be banished in order for the effect to resolve and since tokens can't be banished they wouldn't be able to be used.

or is it that the effect will resolve but only use the banished monsters levels and ignore the tokens used?

For instance would this situation be correct then:

I have gofu, 3 ojama tokens and blackwing - bora. Gofu effect used to banish all 5 monsters. Target Assault blackwing - Chidori (lv7) and summon since tokens are not counted.

Thank you for any and all replies

Zaziuma

Post #2 by Zaziuma » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 pm

You mentioned Unibird here, which is similar to this card, so looking at that card, its ruling says you can do that, so the same should apply here.
All my custom cards are available on Duel Portal. It's like Dueling Book, but for custom cards! Check it out: https://duel-portal.com/

Hyde

Post #3 by Hyde » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Yes but Unibird wording is that I use the monsters levels from when they existed on the field. Gofu wording says that I use the monster levels of the monsters that are now banished as they appeared on the field. Now if it is as you said, then awesome there is a lot I can do with this for some fun, but if not then I'd rather not take the time to build the deck only to find out that it won't work.

tzaflidisp
Mood:

Post #4 by tzaflidisp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

You can use token for gofu's eff and summon a synchro that has the combined level that gofu and the tokens had on field
Image Image

Hyde

Post #5 by Hyde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 am

Ok, Thank you both. I was just confused by the wording. Much appreciated

Return to “Rulings Q&A”