Red-Eyes Metal Flare Dragon v. Number 41: Bagooska The Terribly Tired Tapir

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Hyde

Red-Eyes Metal Flare Dragon v. Number 41: Bagooska The Terribly Tired Tapir

Post #1 by Hyde » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

Metal Flare text:

Cannot be destroyed by card effects while it has Xyz Material. While this card has Xyz Material, each time your opponent activates a card or effect, inflict 500 damage to your opponent immediately after it resolves. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 "Red-Eyes" Normal Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Tapir text:

Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, detach 1 material from this card. If you cannot, destroy it. This Attack Position card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Your opponent cannot target this Attack Position card with card effects. While this card is in face-up Defense Position, change all face-up monsters on the field to Defense Position, also negate the activated effects of monsters that were in Defense Position when that effect was activated.

So my question is this, would Tapir negate the damage inflicting effect of red-eyes if both were on the field? I understand that red-eyes's damage effect is continuous however someone told me that even though it doesn't start a chain it still has to activate. So I would like to have this cleared up for myself so I know for sure. I'm fairly certain that red-eyes effect would not be negated but I have been wrong before.

Thank you to all who reply

srn347

Post #2 by srn347 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:06 am

Red-eyes flare metal dragon's effect to inflict damage would not be negated as it is not an activated effect. Flare metal will also still burn off of effects negated by tapir.

Hyde

Post #3 by Hyde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 am

Ok awesome thank you very much

Return to “Rulings Q&A”