Metaverse & Paleozoic vs. Pacifis, City of Radiance

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
32Goblins

Metaverse & Paleozoic vs. Pacifis, City of Radiance

Post #1 by 32Goblins » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 am

The problem:

I've a set Metaverse with a Pacifis, City of Radiance in deck, and a Paleozoic in grave.

If I activate Metaverse (to activate Pacifis) and chain the Paleozoic, would I be able to activate Pacifis' effect to search (because a Normal Monster, Paleo, was Summoned) immediately after the resolution of that chain?

MadRest

Post #2 by MadRest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 pm

You wouldn't be able to activate it since Pacifis wouldn't have been on the field when the Paleozoic was Summoned.

32Goblins

Post #3 by 32Goblins » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 am

Would that matter? While it's a Field Spell and while Field Spells are privy to being face-up and whatnot, I don't know if that matters when it specifically has an "if" effect to search. By that logic, wouldn't it search if a normal monster summon occurred in the last chain?

Just wanted to clarify.

srn347

Post #4 by srn347 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 am

Field spells (as well as any cards with trigger effects that activate on the field) must be on the field when the trigger is met in order to activate. This rule applies to all public knowledge areas (graveyard, face-up banished cards, etc) but does not apply to private knowledge areas (such as the hand).

Return to “Rulings Q&A”