¿Cards that can be activated during the Damage Step?

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
-Vantage.Princess-
Mood:

¿Cards that can be activated during the Damage Step?

Post #1 by -Vantage.Princess- » Tue May 28, 2019 11:55 pm

I want to know what kind of cards can i use during the damage step, because most of the time i chain "Safe Zone" https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Safe_Zone to my monster when the opponent is attacking with a monster with the same atk as mine, and they always write: "I cancel the attack", ruining my plan to destroy their monster :lol:
Your friends can't help you.

Code: Select all

Our enemy is crushed and our victory assured. Strategically, this one's in the bag!

Runzy
Mood:

Post #2 by Runzy » Wed May 29, 2019 7:11 am

-Vantage.Princess- wrote:I want to know what kind of cards can i use during the damage step, because most of the time i chain "Safe Zone" https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Safe_Zone to my monster when the opponent is attacking with a monster with the same atk as mine, and they always write: "I cancel the attack", ruining my plan to destroy their monster :lol:

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Damage_Step "Cards and effects that can be activated" read through that.
DB Judge 20/09/2017. 21/11/2023 - Present.
Retired: 15/12/2021 & 26/12/2022
Konami RC-1 & PC-1 Certified (August 2017)
Konami DC-1 Certified (March 2019)

-Vantage.Princess-
Mood:

Post #3 by -Vantage.Princess- » Wed May 29, 2019 8:13 am

You are a saint, it helped a lot.
Your friends can't help you.

Code: Select all

Our enemy is crushed and our victory assured. Strategically, this one's in the bag!

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #4 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 pm

Generally cards that can be activated during the Damage Step are:
-Cards that affect a monster(s)' ATK and/or DEF,
-Effects that would activate at the start, during, and/or at the end of the Damage Step (e.g. Paladin of White Dragon),
-Effects that summon monsters after being destroyed by battle (e.g. Kozmo Dark Destroyer (or every other LV5-7 Kozmo ships), Beatrice, Lady of Eternal), and/or
-Effects that would negate the ACTIVATION of a card/effect (not negating the effect itself, the activation of it.)

If your opponent uses Safe Zone during the Damage Step, he's an idiot for not knowing basic game mechanics. Attack declaration starts the Battle Step. If he wants to use Safe Zone, the Battle Step would've been his only opportunity to use it. Once he enters Damage Step there's no going back. This is BASIC game mechanics he needs to know. You don't have to be a ruling judge to understand this right.

xDEADCENTREx

Post #5 by xDEADCENTREx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm

-Vantage.Princess- wrote:Most of the time i chain "Safe Zone" to my monster when the opponent is attacking with a monster with the same atk as mine, and they always write: "I cancel the attack", ruining my plan to destroy their monster :lol:

I wish to inform you that this cannot be done. They cannot cancel a declared attack that they made, in their own turn, unless the amount of monsters on your side of the field changes, or a card/effect is applying that affects the attack in a way that makes the attack an invalid target, or otherwise makes you unable to finish your attack.

Safe Zone only prevents effects from targeting your monster, attacks are unaffected. Therefore in the situation you cited, their monster HAS to continue attacking, and their monster will be destroyed since your monster cannot be destroyed by battle and has the same attack statistics as their monster, as per your example.

parhelia_0000 wrote:Generally cards that can be activated during the Damage Step are:
-Cards that affect a monster(s)' ATK and/or DEF,
-Effects that would activate at the start, during, and/or at the end of the Damage Step (e.g. Paladin of White Dragon),
-Effects that summon monsters after being destroyed by battle (e.g. Kozmo Dark Destroyer (or every other LV5-7 Kozmo ships), Beatrice, Lady of Eternal), and/or
-Effects that would negate the ACTIVATION of a card/effect (not negating the effect itself, the activation of it.)

If your opponent uses Safe Zone during the Damage Step, he's an idiot for not knowing basic game mechanics. Attack declaration starts the Battle Step. If he wants to use Safe Zone, the Battle Step would've been his only opportunity to use it. Once he enters Damage Step there's no going back. This is BASIC game mechanics he needs to know. You don't have to be a ruling judge to understand this right.

The OP is using Safe Zone, not the opponent. They cannot use Safe Zone in Damage Step that's true, and to the OP you CAN use it to the Attack Declaration Step, where Player A selects their monster, and B's target that they are attacking.
After that comes the Battle Step, of which you can also use Safe Zone in without issues.
Before the Damage Step is also able to have Safe Zone used.

Once you get to the "Start of the Damage Step" and all the way until the "End of Damage Calculation", Safe Zone cannot be activated. This is because it is not a card that is able to be used in the Damage Step.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”