Ceasefire ruling

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Kurs_X5

Ceasefire ruling

Post #1 by Kurs_X5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm

As far as I know the card Ceasefire doesn't need to turn face-up a face-down monster to activate it and to do 500 damage to the opponent, I've played that on official tournaments and no one said nothing, but when playing against an opponent here in DB, he said that I can't use it if there's no face-down monster to flip up. The same happened when I asked it on public chat and the player LiveWire told me with all kind of insults (moron, retarded, stupid, etc) that I can't activate it without a face-down monster on the field, I even showed him the ruling of the card but he insisted saying that it was a condition and bla bla bla...
So, I want a Judge to answer if I can or not activate ceasefire without a face-down monster on field

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #2 by __Blank__ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm

First I will note the text has been Errata'ed since that ruling you speak of, as it has a new release loaded on the site. I recall your ruling very well and you "were" correct, however it now has an activation requirement it needs to meet first, however it's not as black and white as what you were told so incoming explanation:

If a face-down Defense Position monster or an Effect Monster is on the field: Change all face-down Defense Position monsters on the field to face-up Defense Position (Flip monsters' effects are not activated at this time), also inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each Effect Monster on the field.

If a face-down Defense Position monster or an Effect Monster is on the field:

This is the "Activation Condition" I speak of, the requirements you need to meet in order to activate the card/effect.

Going over the new text, we see there are 2 alternative ways to meet it's requirement:
A Face-Down Defense Position Monster on either side of the Field. (Can be you or your opponent)
An effect monster on the field (Can be you or your opponent) [It can be face-up in any battle position)

If you meet either of these you can activate the card.

Change all face-down Defense Position monsters on the field to face-up Defense Position (Flip monsters' effects are not activated at this time), also inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each Effect Monster on the field.

This is the effect, what the card does when resolving, and in some cases, a description of how it applies/lingers. In this case neither of those are important.
What is important is that the activation condition once met, if when resolving is no longer correct it will still attempt to resolve, as we are past the activation condition, and onto responding to the activation of ceasefire, or both players passing when they get to respond, and agreeing to go into resolving.

I know you asked for a "Judge response" and I used to Judge In Real Life for Toronto and Oshawa. Toronto YCS 2014 was my first, I did 2 YCS Toronto 2014 and 2016, and I have multiple regionals events Judged. I have not resubmitted my information as per the E-Mail, so I am technically now an Unofficial Konami Judge (Not a DuelingBook Judge).

This answer I have 100% confidence in, I am not wrong I guarantee it

Return to “Rulings Q&A”