Utopia rulings

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
KrystalLBX
Mood:

Utopia rulings

Post #1 by KrystalLBX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:20 pm

If I xyz summon using utopia the double, Onomatopia's bonus applies to the double atk effect of Utopia Double right?
even if I were to remove the counters after the summon

Also for Onomatopaira
Can I add only 1 card if adding Utopic Onomatopeia

Monarch Snow

Post #2 by Monarch Snow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 am

ImageImage

2 Level 4 monsters
(Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card; add 1 "Double or Nothing!" from your Deck to your hand, then Special Summon 1 "Utopia" Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck, except "Number 39: Utopia Double", by using this face-up card you control as material, and if you do, double its ATK, but it cannot attack directly. (This is treated as an Xyz Summon. Transfer this card's materials to the Summoned monster.) You can only use this effect of "Number 39: Utopia Double" once per turn.

Assuming you successfully add "Double or Nothing", then successfully Xyz Summon (Number: 39 "Utopia") ; its ATK would be 5000, then a Hi-Five the Sky Counter would be placed on Onomatotopia. Onomatopia applies after the Chain resolves. Then, the ATK "Number: 39 Utopia" would increase by 200, making its total 5200 ATK.

Continuous Effects have slippery rulings when it comes to their applications during a Chain, I'm not 100% in my answer, but seeing the Summon and the ATK modification are simultaneous (given from the translation) and the OCG rulings.
(For you Experts out there, I'm extrapolating from "Muka Muka" & "Acid Trap Hole", OCG-wise.)
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

KrystalLBX
Mood:

Post #3 by KrystalLBX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am

Thank you

Still curious about the Onomatopaira ruling
https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings ... nomatopeia
The official ruling says I can add 2 Utopic Onoma, BUT can I add an Utopic Onoma AND one of the other listed categories? (Like Utopic + Gogogo Golem)

KrystalLBX
Mood:

Post #4 by KrystalLBX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 am

anyone?

Shugunou

Post #5 by Shugunou » Sun May 10, 2020 12:52 pm

If the wording is correct, the answer is yes. Utopia would have 5200. However, once Double or Nothing's bonus ends, Utopia will have 2700.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”