Toadlly Awesome vs Negate effects

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
zakdan

Toadlly Awesome vs Negate effects

Post #1 by zakdan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:47 am

I want to know how toadlly awesome vs negate effects works, for examples:

My main phase and I have a toadlly awesome, my opponent activate effect veiller, after the resolution of veiller we still playing and I decide to negate something with toadlly, I tribute toadlly by cost then I negate the activation of my opponent?

Other question, have skill drain on field (or other continuos effect like fog blade) and my toadlly is negated by this effect, so I tribute toadlly to negate a activation of my opponent card, toadlly will negate or not?/

In this situation how widow anchor works, it negates Toadlly if he goes to grave?

Toadlly Awesome
2 Level 2 Aqua-Type monsters
Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect: You can send 1 Aqua-Type monster from your hand or face-up from your field to the Graveyard; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then you can Set it to your field. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 WATER monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Effect Veiller
During your opponent's Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY, then target 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; that face-up monster your opponent controls has its effects negated until the end of this turn.

Skill Drain
Activate by paying 1000 Life Points. The effects of all face-up monsters on the field are negated while those monsters are face-up on the field (but their effects can still be activated).

Widow Anchor
If you control no monsters in your Main Monster Zones: Target 1 Effect Monster on the field; negate that face-up monster's effects until the end of this turn, then, if you have 3 or more Spells in your GY, you can take control of that monster until the End Phase.

bobbynit

Post #2 by bobbynit » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 pm

if toadly awesome is negated then it cant use its effects... you can chain toadaly awesome to the activation of a card that would negate it, then negate the trap or effect as long as it is not a counter trap.

on your first question. if effect veiler resolves on the targeted toad, then it would not be able to activate its effects for the rest of that turn.

on the second question. you could activate toad( targeting toad) and since it would resolve in the graveyard it would not be negated(in the case of skill drain.)

Argor

Post #3 by Argor » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:23 pm

bobbynit wrote:if toadly awesome is negated then it cant use its effects... you can chain toadaly awesome to the activation of a card that would negate it, then negate the trap or effect as long as it is not a counter trap.

on your first question. if effect veiler resolves on the targeted toad, then it would not be able to activate its effects for the rest of that turn.

on the second question. you could activate toad( targeting toad) and since it would resolve in the graveyard it would not be negated(in the case of skill drain.)

Effect Veiler will not prevent the activation of a monster's effects that it negated. Effect negation is not the same thing as preventing a monster from activating its effects. If Toadally Awesome has its effects negated by Effect Veiler, it can still activate its Quick Effect, and even send itself from the field to the GY to pay the cost for activating it. Note that Toadally Awesome does not Tribute to pay that cost; sending stuff to the GY is not Tributing unless it specifies that it's Tributing.

In that case, since its effects on the field are negated by Effect Veiler's effect, and since effects activate and resolve in the same place, Toadally Awesome's effect resolves on the field. This means it won't negate the activation of whatever effect it was activated in response to.

Kenny Ackermann

Post #4 by Kenny Ackermann » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:52 pm

bobbynit wrote:if toadly awesome is negated then it cant use its effects... you can chain toadaly awesome to the activation of a card that would negate it, then negate the trap or effect as long as it is not a counter trap.

2nd question that's not what they asked.

The answer to which is yes, if toad sends itself, to negate, then it will negate since it's no longer a (face-up monster on the field) when it resolves and applies it's effect. The card it negates may also be set.

s.nickid

Post #5 by s.nickid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:49 am

Veiller negate effect that activated on the field, so it will still be negated by veiller even dough toadally aswemoe his not on the field during resolution, you still activated the effect on the field, the effect activation does not move with the monster card. Why that exact situation would have work fine if Toadelly asweome was negated by skill dragin instead, the reason for this, his skill drain only negated the effect of face-up monster card, not the effect that activated on the field

Return to “Rulings Q&A”