CotH + Royal Decree + Giant Trunade

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Nedthius

CotH + Royal Decree + Giant Trunade

Post #1 by Nedthius » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:52 pm

This is my first post I apologize if it is not in the correct location.

This question is specifically for a judge. I need absolute certainty for a correct ruling.

I have a question regarding card interaction. Consider the following.

Player 1 has DMoC successfully special summoned by CotH. After the successfully resolution of CotH, Player 2 later activates Royal Decree. Player 1 then on their turn activates Giant Trunade sending Royal Decree and CotH to the respective hands of both players at the same time.

My question is, since CotH's effect for "when it is removed from the field" technically activates off the field as it must leave the field for that effect to become pertinent and as it is not "equipped" but rather 'linked", Call does not "forget" its link while it is negated.

Also, Royal Decree must be on the field to negate as it is a continuous trap card, so when Giant Trunade successfully resolves DMoC is therefore destroyed by the no longer negated CotH and is banished by its own effect.

If I am wrong, please help me understand why.

Thank you!

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:05 pm

Player 1 has DMoC successfully special summoned by CotH. After the successfully resolution of CotH, Player 2 later activates Royal Decree. Player 1 then on their turn activates Giant Trunade sending Royal Decree and CotH to the respective hands of both players at the same time.

My question is, since CotH's effect for "when it is removed from the field" technically activates off the field as it must leave the field for that effect to become pertinent and as it is not "equipped" but rather 'linked", Call does not "forget" its link while it is negated.

There's a ruling that answers this question. https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Call_of_the_Haunted

After "Call of the Haunted" Special Summons a monster, if "Call of the Haunted" is negated by an effect like "Royal Decree" or "Trap Stun", then the Special Summoned monster remains on the field and is not destroyed. "Call of the Haunted" also remains on the field, even though its effect is negated. If the effect of "Royal Decree" or "Trap Stun" is no longer applied, then the effect of "Call of the Haunted" is re-applied, so the Special Summoned monster would be destroyed if "Call of the Haunted" is removed from the field

Also, Royal Decree must be on the field to negate as it is a continuous trap card, so when Giant Trunade successfully resolves DMoC is therefore destroyed by the no longer negated CotH and is banished by its own effect.

Correct.

Nedthius

Post #3 by Nedthius » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:57 pm

Thank you for confirming!

Return to “Rulings Q&A”