Resolving a random discard effect on Duelingbook

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
epicsteps

Resolving a random discard effect on Duelingbook

Post #1 by epicsteps » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:07 am

Had an issue earlier today in Edison format
I'd like an answer from a judge if possible.
Opponent is resolving Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch and is trying to hit a Neo Spacian Grand Mole that i had recently searched off Sangan.
My opponent clicks on the Neo Spacian Grand Mole in my hand.
Generally common etiquette on DB has always been to roll a die to resolve random effects.
I asked my opponent to roll a die and he rage quits.
Then he direct msgs me after seeing replay and makes some disparaging comments towards me.
My question is thus:
1-Is the randomization from the card being drawn to hand and DB shufffling deemed random enough to resolve Thestalos before being given the chance to shuffle hand prior to resolving Thestalos?
2-Is requesting a die roll having seen my opponent click on a good card in my hand deemed cheating?
3- If its not cheating, am i being a gigantic prick?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:02 pm

epicsteps wrote:Had an issue earlier today in Edison format
I'd like an answer from a judge if possible.
Opponent is resolving Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch and is trying to hit a Neo Spacian Grand Mole that i had recently searched off Sangan.
My opponent clicks on the Neo Spacian Grand Mole in my hand.
Generally common etiquette on DB has always been to roll a die to resolve random effects.
I asked my opponent to roll a die and he rage quits.
Then he direct msgs me after seeing replay and makes some disparaging comments towards me.
My question is thus:
1-Is the randomization from the card being drawn to hand and DB shufffling deemed random enough to resolve Thestalos before being given the chance to shuffle hand prior to resolving Thestalos?
2-Is requesting a die roll having seen my opponent click on a good card in my hand deemed cheating?
3- If its not cheating, am i being a gigantic prick?

1: Yes, 2: not cheating but because of 1, it's at least rude, 3: not necessarily, your opponent seems much saltier if, as you say, they just up and left instead of trying to explain this to you.
Buy Floowandereeze

MarshieDemon

Post #3 by MarshieDemon » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 pm

Keep in mind that, when your hand is shuffled, DuelingBook assigns a random value to each card in your hand, and positions that card in your hand based on that random value. That means that each card in your hand is given an equal chance at appearing in a particular position in your hand. So long as your opponent has no information about what card could possibly be in each position, then selecting a card in your hand is about as random as a computer can reasonably accomplish.

Whether or not it's cheating to ask your opponent to roll a die, that depends on the intent. Ask yourself this: If your opponent did not pick the Neo Spacian Grand Mole, would you still have asked them to roll a die? That would tell you whether you asking them to roll a die is based on you wanting a different method of randomization, or based on the fact they picked the card you didn't want them to pick.

Head Administrator

Return to “Rulings Q&A”