Ruling on Crackdown vs Change of Heart

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Renji Asuka

Ruling on Crackdown vs Change of Heart

Post #1 by Renji Asuka » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:09 pm

My opponent has Kuriboh on field, say I activate Crackdown to take that Kuriboh.

My opponent then plays Change of Heart. What exactly happens here?

The answer I'm looking for is whether or not Crackdown is continuously applying the effect to let me take control of Kuriboh vs a Normal Spell where it doesn't continuously applies the effect. Would the Kuriboh return to the player that activated Crackdown or not?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:31 am

Change of Heart's control is the most recent, so until the end of turn they control their Kuriboh again. However, Crackdown's attack and activation restrictions still apply.
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #3 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:45 am

greg503 wrote:Change of Heart's control is the most recent, so until the end of turn they control their Kuriboh again. However, Crackdown's attack and activation restrictions still apply.

So why would Crackdown's effect on the attack and monster negate still apply and not the "Take Control of an opponent's monster" not continuously apply?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Jon-Stark

Post #4 by Jon-Stark » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:27 am

Crackdown still targets and applies to the monster taken by change of heart, so when heart wears off it goes back to the owner of crackdown. https://db.ygorganization.com/qa#19174 similar ruling

sentinelsean

Post #5 by sentinelsean » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:52 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
greg503 wrote:Change of Heart's control is the most recent, so until the end of turn they control their Kuriboh again. However, Crackdown's attack and activation restrictions still apply.

So why would Crackdown's effect on the attack and monster negate still apply and not the "Take Control of an opponent's monster" not continuously apply?

Change control effects simply work like that, it is always the most recent to apply is the one that stays applying even if there continuous effects in play. the only exception is remove brainwashing which will always apply. this is one of those moments that while confusing since normally continuous effects usually reapply, it is very uniform with the mentioned remove brainwashing being the only expectation (at least to my knowledge).

greg503

Post #6 by greg503 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:

Ok I realize that Crackdown says it's restriction apply while the monster in under your control, I thought it was a generic "the targeted monster." That said, if it was like Snatch Steal, it effect to give the opponent LP would be active regardless of who controls the monster.
Buy Floowandereeze

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:59 pm

Jon-Stark wrote:Crackdown still targets and applies to the monster taken by change of heart, so when heart wears off it goes back to the owner of crackdown. https://db.ygorganization.com/qa#19174 similar ruling

Hold on. Change of Heart doesn't work the same way Forbidden Lance does. Forbidden Lance makes the monster unaffected, and keeps it unaffected until the end of the turn, which is why it works the way that linked ruling says.

Change of Heart on the other hand, upon resolution, only attempts to apply its monster-stealing effect once, meaning Change of Heart doesn't continuously force the monster to stay under your control or prevent other card effects from returning that monster to opponent's control.

This is because Change of Heart's effect isn't continuous, so I'm pretty sure it would play out like this:

• You activate Crackdown taking control of opponent's Kuriboh
  • Opponent's Kuriboh is now under your control
  • Opponent activates Change of Heart targeting that same Kuriboh
  • Kuriboh returns to opponent's control, then Crackdown immediately returns it back to your control a second time since Crackdown continuously applies its effect
  • That same effect of Change of Heart will not attempt to steal back that Kuriboh a second time since Change of Heart doesn't attempt to apply its stealing effect more than once, meaning the Kuriboh will remain under your control due to Crackdown

greg503

Post #8 by greg503 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Jon-Stark wrote:Crackdown still targets and applies to the monster taken by change of heart, so when heart wears off it goes back to the owner of crackdown. https://db.ygorganization.com/qa#19174 similar ruling

Hold on. Change of Heart doesn't work the same way Forbidden Lance does. Forbidden Lance makes the monster unaffected, and keeps it unaffected until the end of the turn, which is why it works the way that linked ruling says.

Change of Heart on the other hand, upon resolution, only attempts to apply its monster-stealing effect once, meaning Change of Heart doesn't continuously force the monster to stay under your control or prevent other card effects from returning that monster to opponent's control.

This is because Change of Heart's effect isn't continuous, so I'm pretty sure it would play out like this:

• Kuriboh returns to opponent's control, then Crackdown immediately returns it back to your control a second time since Crackdown continuously applies its effect
  • That same effect of Change of Heart will not attempt to steal back that Kuriboh a second time since Change of Heart doesn't attempt to apply its stealing effect more than once, meaning the Kuriboh will remain under your control due to Crackdown

Ah, but Change of Heart DOES continuously apply, like other lingering effects.
Buy Floowandereeze

Christen57

Post #9 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:40 pm

greg503 wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Ah, but Change of Heart DOES continuously apply, like other lingering effects.

Yeah you're actually right, since I found this: https://www.formatlibrary.com/cards/Snatch_Steal

• If you control your opponent's monster with "Snatch Steal" and your opponent takes control of it with "Brain Control", the monster is returned to you during the End Phase.
Says the opponent keeps the monster until Brain Control's effect expires, and Brain Control works the same way as Change of Heart.

Jon-Stark

Post #10 by Jon-Stark » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:58 am

Not sure how this went from very basic to completely sideways lol. Both cards apply the same effect to steal, CoH just temporarily takes precedence because it is the latest effect to apply to the same monster, but once CoH wears off, crackdown goes back to applying to it as it had originally. Thats it. Simple

Return to “Rulings Q&A”