Cubic wave rulling question

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
s.nickid

Cubic wave rulling question

Post #1 by s.nickid » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:33 am

1.Cubic wave effect to put cubic counter on the opponent monster got its effect negated. The question is what happen if linkuriboh as a cubic counter, when an attack is declare he tributed itself as cost, will it still get negated because he activated on the field even thought he does not have cubic counter anymore since he is in the graveyard? Since they where no ruling on this, that is why I'm asking this because I don't remember if that situation happen to me in Yugioh master duel. 2. The wing dragon of ra as 4000 atk and defense from sphere mode, then if the wing dragon of ra got a cubic counter already I already know that he keep the 4000 atk and defense, my question is while the wing dragon of ra got cubic counters and got its effect negated, If I activated blaze cannon to make the wing dragon of ra gain does effect listed on blaze cannon, would the new effect that is unaffected by opponent card effect be negated by the cubic counters? I'm asking this because if skill drain is already on the field face-up and a monster that is unaffected will have is unaffected negated when he is summoned while skill drain is already face-up, but that does not give a rulling for new added effects to a monster?

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:14 pm

Those effects will be negated only while the monster in question carries the Cubic Counter. If a monster activates its effect by tributing itself or something, by the time the game checks to see if it still has the Cubic Counter in order to determine whether the effect will resolve negated or not, it no longer has said Counter.

Cromat

Post #3 by Cromat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:44 pm

Hello,
I have no idea what you two are talking about there. However, I will address the mentioned issue(s), as if you had asked the question(s) this/these way(s);

[Question 1];
I am activating Ignition-like Effect of "Cubic Wave" and with it; I am banishing 1 "Cubic Wave" and 1 "Cubic" monster from my GY, while I have 1 or more "Cubic" monster in my GY, by targeting my opponent's "Linkuriboh" only. After that, if I declare an attack with my "Cubic" monster to my opponent's "Linkuriboh" when I entered my Battle Phase, can my opponent's "Linkuriboh" still tribute itself and change my "Cubic" monster's ATK to 0 until end of this turn or not(, I am asking this because that Link Monster tributes itself as cost and there is no Ruling about that scenario.)?

[Answer 1];
Since effects of "Linkuriboh" negated by your Normal Spell's Ignition-like Effect, Trigger Effect of that Link Monster will not be triggered.
But, since that Link Monster Card tribute itself as a cost when activating that Trigger Effect, I am not certainly sure anymore about that it cannot tribute itself at that moment.
Because 1 of my previous Duels; I have activated my "Dark Ruler No More" during my Main Phase 1, while my opponent control monster(s), like "Mirrorjade the Iceblade Dragon". During my End Phase, my opponent activated their that Fusion Monster's Quick-Effect and sent 1 Fusion Monster from their Extra Deck to their GY that mentions "Fallen of Albaz" as material by saying sending from Extra Deck to GY as cost action. When I called Judge, Judge said it can do it because it is cost.

[Question 2];
During my previous turn, I tributed my "The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode" and Special Summoned of "The Winged Dragon of Ra" from my hand or Deck. After that, I Set 1 "Blaze Canon" on the field and ended my turn. During the Main Phase, my opponent activated Ignition-like Effet of their "Cubic Wave", and banished that Normal Spell and 1 "Cubic" monster from their GY, while they have 1 or more "Cubic" monster at their GY. And placed 1 counter to my "The Winged Dragon of Ra". If I activate my Set "Blaze Canon" during my opponent's Main Phase, what would become of my "The Winged Dragon of Ra" current ATK/DEF?

[Answer 2];
Since you activated your that Quick-Play Spell, your opponent's Normal Spell's placed Cubic Counter will be removed, because your Divine-Beast-Type monster will be unaffected from your opponent's card effect. And your opponent's Normal Spell place those counter your monster's on with effect. So, your Divine-Beast-Type monster's ATK will become 0 if your opponent's Normal Spell resolved, but when your Quick-Play Spell resolved your monster ATK and DEF will be unaffected from your opponent's Normal Spell and it will remain 4000/4000 on the field.

[Question 2.1];
...What would become of my "The Winged Dragon of Ra" current ATK/DEF, if my opponent controls already a face-up "Skill Drain" on their field when my Divine-Beast-Type monster arrived to field during my turn, and again if I activate my Set "Blaze Canon" during my opponent's turn while they control that Continuous Trap?

[Answer 2.1];
Your Divine-Beast-Type monster's ATK/DEF will be treated as 0 when it arrived to field because of your opponent's Continuous Trap Card during your turn. When you activated your Quick-Play Spell during your opponent's turn, it will be unaffected (until end of this turn) by your opponent's mentioned Normal Spell and your opponent's Continuous Trap. But that moment, its ATK will stay 0 since their Continuous Trap negated that Effect Monster's effects.

[Question 2.2];
...What would become of my Divine-Beast-Type monster's ATK/DEF, if I activate my Set "Blaze Canon" during my opponent's turn, and afterwards; if my opponent activates their Set "Skill Drain"?

[Answer 2.2];
Because of your Quick-Play Spell, your Effect Monster's ATK/DEF will stay 4000/4000. It will be unaffected anymore from your opponent's Normal Spell. Afterwards, again your Quick-Play Spell's effect will keep your Effect Monster's ATK as 4000/4000; even now your opponent activated their "Skill Drain". Because that Quick-Play Spell makes Divine-Beast-Type monster unaffected your opponent's card effects until end of this turn. But when your opponent's ended their turn and when you became the current turn player again at that time; your Divine-Beast-Type monster's ATK will become 0 again. Because if a monster's ATK/DEF are ?, its ATK and DEF on the field are treated as 0. Even if its effect negated.

Still I need a Judge at this point regarding sub-sections of " [Answer 1]".

s.nickid

Post #4 by s.nickid » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:34 pm

@Cromat: Skill drain is already face-up on the field on my opponent side and I activated sphere mode that tributed itself as cost to Special summoned the wing dragon of ra with 4,000 atk and Defense does attack points stays because it is not Wing dragon of ra effect. While my opponent still having skill drain face-up and I activated Blaze cannon, the gain effect the wing dragon of ra receive that is unaffected by opponent card effect would it be negated by skill drain, because it is a new effect? Or it will not be able to be negated by skill drain because it is a new effect? Because base on what I said before if skill drain is already on the field face-up and a monster that is unaffected by trap is summoned, the unaffected by trap effect is negated by skill drain. Would a new gain effect that makes it unaffected by opponent card effect applied does exact same rules?

Cromat

Post #5 by Cromat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:59 pm

You are saying that: "ATK/DEF of the Special Summoned "The Winged Dragon of Ra", will remain as 4000/4000, which Special Summoned by Ignition Effect of "The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode". While there is on the field a face-up "Skill Drain" already."

And I am believing that I've answered your all questions that you may ask about mentioned scenario(s).

Return to “Rulings Q&A”