Frightfur Daredevil and Change of Heart

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Mr. Xtra

Frightfur Daredevil and Change of Heart

Post #1 by Mr. Xtra » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:45 am

I know "Change of Heart" is never played, but I'm mainly talking just those types of effects.
So, "Frightfur Daredevil" states "If this face-up card is destroyed by battle, or leaves the field because of an opponent's card effect while its owner controls it: You can inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each 'Frightfur' monster in your Graveyard." You probably already see where this is going.

So, let's say you have Daredevil on the field, face-up, and your opponent uses Change of Heart or a similar effect and takes it.

You then summon "Frightfur Cruel Whale" off of the Quick Effect of "Edge Imp Scythe" ("During your opponent's Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand; Fusion Summon 1 'Frightfur' Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material, including this card in your hand.)

You activate Cruel Whale's on-summon effect (If this card is Fusion Summoned: You can destroy 1 card on both players' fields.) and it goes through, destroying, let's say, an inconsequential face-down you control and the Daredevil that is now on your Opponent's field.

Would you then be able to activate Daredevil's when-destroyed effect? It needs to be destroyed, and by an opponent's card effect, to burn, but then the word "owner" trips me up. It shouldn't, but I recently watched a Distant Coder Judge Calls video (not the best source for things, but you not terrible either all things considered) where Coder got the question "what do i own" and when asked to elaborate further, he said something along the lines of "what on the field do i own" and Coder simply said "Anything on your side of the field is owned by you" which made me second guess myself for this type of effect that specifies "owner".

Thank you for your time, have a nice day (:

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:49 pm

where Coder got the question "what do i own" and when asked to elaborate further, he said something along the lines of "what on the field do i own" and Coder simply said "Anything on your side of the field is owned by you"

Could you cite the youtube video where DistantCoder said this?

And to answer your question... The owner of a card, known as the original owner (元もと々もと)持もち主ぬし Motomoto Mochinushi) in Japanese, is the player who possessed the card card at the start of the Duel.https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Owner

So since you didn't control the Daredevil you own at the time it was destroyed, you don't get to trigger its effect.

Jon-Stark

Post #3 by Jon-Stark » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:45 pm

ownership and in your control are totally separate things, and this is covered under the basic rulebook, you should try reading it.

Cromat

Post #4 by Cromat » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:10 pm

Even you think you can inflict 500 damage of your opponent's LP when you take control of your opponent's "Frightfur Daredevil" when you activated your "Change of Heart", you cannot inflict effect damage of your opponent's LP because it will go to your opponent's GY (if destroyed by battle, or leaves from field by your card effect(s)), ain't to your GY.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”