Complicated ruling question that happens only on DB ( End Turn )

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
eyal282

Complicated ruling question that happens only on DB ( End Turn )

Post #1 by eyal282 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:41 am

End Turn is pressed, and [White Stone of ancients] was declared from GY ( End Phase effect ) before "Start turn" was pressed by opponent.

Is it a legal move?

This question is based around the fact that if my opponent presses end turn, I am completely free to declare any End Phase effect before starting my turn, so would it be fair that if my opponent's turn didn't start yet, it's still the end phase, therefore I can activate end phase effects?
The counterargument to this claim is that if you press EP from MP1, your opponent can nibiru, but you cannot nibiru because you would not press EP if you wanted an effect for end of MP1.

Genexwrecker

Post #2 by Genexwrecker » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:44 am

If you press end turn you have agreed to move to and leave the end phase. So you cannot use anymore effects. If the opp clicks start turn then you both consented and it is a new turn. If a player disagrees when their opp hits end turn then it is still ep(or whatever phase you were in before end turn was pressed
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Wek

Post #3 by Wek » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:14 pm

eyal282 wrote:End Turn is pressed, and [White Stone of ancients] was declared from GY ( End Phase effect ) before "Start turn" was pressed by opponent.

Is it a legal move?

This question is based around the fact that if my opponent presses end turn, I am completely free to declare any End Phase effect before starting my turn, so would it be fair that if my opponent's turn didn't start yet, it's still the end phase, therefore I can activate end phase effects?
The counterargument to this claim is that if you press EP from MP1, your opponent can nibiru, but you cannot nibiru because you would not press EP if you wanted an effect for end of MP1.

Players cannot exit a step/phase unless both agree to it, as per the Fast Effect Timing Chart. The player whose pressed End Turn, or press EP out of M1, it trying to exit their turn/MP respectively, and so cannot activate anything at the time. Their opponent is free to activate an effect, at which point the game remains in the turn/phase etc. it was in before, and players can activate effects regularly again. So in your scenario if th White Stone player pressed end turn thy can't use Stone, but if it was the White Stone player's opponent who pressed end turn, then the White Stone player can activate that effect.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”