Confused on how Branded Lost works

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
NoHeroesHere

Confused on how Branded Lost works

Post #1 by NoHeroesHere » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:42 am

Simple enough scenario: I activate Branded Lost, then attempt to activate Red-Eyes Fusion to get Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon on the field. My opponent proceeds to Ash it, which leaves me a sitting duck. I know it's a legal move because it's happened before with other cards like it (this occurred on Dueling Nexus, so illegal moves supposedly aren't possible to make), but I just want to know why that can happen.

Branded Lost's card text, for context: "The activation of your cards and effects that include an effect that Fusion Summons a Fusion Monster cannot be negated, also your opponent cannot activate cards or effects when a monster is Fusion Summoned this way. If you Fusion Summon a Fusion Monster: You can add 1 "Fallen of Albaz", or 1 monster that mentions it, from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Branded Lost" once per turn."

Could someone with more experience than me explain why Branded Lost doesn't prevent Red-Eyes Fusion (or similar cards) from being Ashed?

Wek

Post #2 by Wek » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:05 am

NoHeroesHere wrote:I know it's a legal move because it's happened before with other cards like it (this occurred on Dueling Nexus, so illegal moves supposedly aren't possible to make), but I just want to know why that can happen.

Nexus, like any other automatic platform, has all sorts of bugs, mistakes, etc. Many are known, many are not.

NoHeroesHere wrote:Simple enough scenario: I activate Branded Lost, then attempt to activate Red-Eyes Fusion to get Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon on the field. My opponent proceeds to Ash it, which leaves me a sitting duck, but I just want to know why that can happen.

Branded Lost stops the activation from being negated. Ash Blossom does not negate activations. There is no reason Branded Lost should prevent Ash Blossom.

NoHeroesHere

Post #3 by NoHeroesHere » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:49 am

Thanks for the help!

s.nickid

Post #4 by s.nickid » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:56 pm

@NoHeroesHere: The reason why ash blossom can be still chain to red-eyes fusion, while red-eyes fusion is protected by branden lost. It is because branden lost only protect if it specificly negated the effect to fusion summoned, and ash blossom does not negated an effect that fusion summoned, it negated effect add a card from deck to hand including drawing a card, it negated special summoned from deck, and it negated send card from deck to graveyard, and red-eyes fusion when it resolve you can send material from your deck to the graveyard, that is what ash blossom is negating.

greg503

Post #5 by greg503 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:42 am

s.nickid wrote:@NoHeroesHere: The reason why ash blossom can be still chain to red-eyes fusion, while red-eyes fusion is protected by branden lost. It is because branden lost only protect if it specificly negated the effect to fusion summoned, and ash blossom does not negated an effect that fusion summoned, it negated effect add a card from deck to hand including drawing a card, it negated special summoned from deck, and it negated send card from deck to graveyard, and red-eyes fusion when it resolve you can send material from your deck to the graveyard, that is what ash blossom is negating.

No, it's because Ash negates the effects but not the activation that it works on fusion spells protected by Branded Lost
Buy Floowandereeze

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #6 by Lil Oldman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:07 am

"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”