Branded Lost vs Myutant Ultimus

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
TheMegassassin

Branded Lost vs Myutant Ultimus

Post #1 by TheMegassassin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:17 pm

Am I able to chain Myutant Ultimus to the activation of Fallen of Albaz while under Branded Lost to fizzle the effect of Albaz by banishing Ultimus as cost? Or am I not able to activate Ultimus at all because it is an effect that negates?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:01 am

You can activate Ultimus to attempt to negate Albaz despite Branded Lost being on the field, it only stops you from activating effects when the Fusion monster is Summoned. Albaz will then not be negated and try to resolve, which will use another appropriate monster, if you have one.
Last edited by greg503 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy Floowandereeze

Wek

Post #3 by Wek » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:34 am

greg503 wrote:You can activate Ultimus to attempt to negate Albaz despite Branded Lost being on the field, it only stops you from activating effects when the Fusion monster is Summoned. Albaz will then try to resolve, which will use another appropriate monster, if you have one.

"The activation of your cards and effects that include an effect that Fusion Summons a Fusion Monster cannot be negated" would seem to impact things a bit.

TheMegassassin wrote:Am I able to chain Myutant Ultimus to the activation of Fallen of Albaz while under Branded Lost to fizzle the effect of Albaz by banishing Ultimus as cost? Or am I not able to activate Ultimus at all because it is an effect that negates?

Sure, Branded Lost doesn't stop you from chaining activation negation. You just won't negate the activation, which means you won't banish the card whose effect is activated. You'd still pay the cost and banish a "Myutant" card though.

Fredblade
Mood:

Post #4 by Fredblade » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:03 am

TheMegassassin wrote:Am I able to chain Myutant Ultimus to the activation of Fallen of Albaz while under Branded Lost to fizzle the effect of Albaz by banishing Ultimus as cost? Or am I not able to activate Ultimus at all because it is an effect that negates?

You can still activate the effect of Myutant Ultimus in response to Fallen of Albaz and banish itself as the cost for the effect, it won't negate the effect of Fallen of Albaz at resolution tho, but the effect of Fallen of Albaz might not resolve properly is there's no other monsters on your field that can be used as material. So, assuming you have no other monsters that Albaz could use as fusion material, Ultimus will resolve its effect attempting to negate Albaz, but the Branded Loss will prevent Albaz from being negated, then Albaz resolves without effect because you have no monsters that he could use as fusion material and Albaz just remains on the field.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”