Time Maiden rulling question

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
s.nickid

Time Maiden rulling question

Post #1 by s.nickid » Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 am

My opponent activated soul charge, and bring back Time Maiden and another Time Lord from the graveyard and lose 2000 life points, than used another effect to pop his own Time Maiden, and then during the same turn, He activated Time Maiden Banish effect to special summoned a time lord from the deck and ignore sumoning condition, but Time Maiden Banish effect got the restriction You cannot special summoned other monster during the turn this effect his activated, He should not be able to activated that effect, his that correct? Because from what I remember if it exclude thing done before the activation, it should read this, as restriction, "for the rest of the turn".

Player1

Post #2 by Player1 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 am

It's as you stated.
Time Maiden's restriction makes it so you cannot use her if you've previously special summoned that turn.. And when you do use her effect, you cannot special summon afterwards. She has the same restriction as Pot of Duality. It's built into her so you can't special summon her from your hand, search + normal summon a timelord, then use her grave effect all in the same turn.

Monarch Snow

Post #3 by Monarch Snow » Sun May 20, 2018 6:02 am

Image Image

Question:
My opponent activates Soul Charge, Special Summoning Time Maiden and another Timelord from the GY and losing 2000 LP. He used Dark Hole to destroy Time Maiden and get it in the GY. During that same turn he used the effect of Time Maiden that would Special Summon a Timelord monster from his Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions. He shouldn't be able to use this effect, correct? From what I remember, it excludes things done before activation, so shouldn't the card text read, "for the rest of the turn."

Answer:
The effect of Time Maiden that activates in the GY cannot be used during the same turn that you Special Summon monsters by other ways. This even includes when it Special Summons itself from the hand. From what I'm able to picture of this scenario, your opponent should not be able to activate the effect. If they did so, they conducted an illegal action.

Also, if Time Maiden read "for the rest of the turn", the play they did would've been legal. Since the text reading "for the rest of the turn" would prevent Special Summons after that effect resolved, not to the Special Summons that occurred prior.
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

Return to “Rulings Q&A”