Activate Droll & Lock Bird after my opponent searches and I draw droll.

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
fishman

Activate Droll & Lock Bird after my opponent searches and I draw droll.

Post #1 by fishman » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:25 pm

It is my opponent’s turn, and my hand is empty. My opponent activates a search spell, and I chain an effect to draw a card. I draw droll & lock bird off the top. My opponent activates another search card. Can I use the droll & Lock Bird?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:13 pm

fishman wrote:It is my opponent’s turn, and my hand is empty. My opponent activates a search spell, and I chain an effect to draw a card. I draw droll & lock bird off the top. My opponent activates another search card. Can I use the droll & Lock Bird?

Look at Token Collectors text: "You can Special Summon this card from the GY (if it was there when the Token was Special Summoned) or hand (even if not)." This refers to the rules around how effects trigger, Droll is a hand effect, so it is allowed to trigger at the end of the Chain even if it was not in your hand at the start of the Chain.
Buy Floowandereeze

ReturnOfTheHurp

Post #3 by ReturnOfTheHurp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:39 pm

Your opponent activates another search card in the resolution window of the initial chain, or in a separate chain after an open gamestate has been reached?

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:11 pm

ReturnOfTheHurp wrote:Your opponent activates another search card in the resolution window of the initial chain, or in a separate chain after an open gamestate has been reached?

If they can activate another search effect in the same chain as your draw, Droll won't stop it and they'll get the additional search. Since Droll is a trigger effect, you will be able to activate it before your opponent can chain another search card, but since chains resolve backwards, as long as Droll has not resolved they can chain a SS2 or higher search effect and will get the additional search. If they have mandatory search triggers, or optional search triggers that on their turn, activate before your Droll, you can chain Droll to those and prevent those searches.
Buy Floowandereeze

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #5 by Ir0n » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:24 pm

Let me use an example to explain how this works:
Player A activates the effect of "Drytron Alpha Thuban", tributing "Cyberangel Benten" for cost. Player B chains their set "Jar of Greed". The chain resolves and Player B draws "Droll & Lock Bird" off their "Jar of Greed". Player A resolves "Drytron Alpha Thuban", summoning it in DEF Position and searching for "Cyberangel Natasha". On resolution of the chain, Player A activates the effect of "Cyberangel Benten" that was tributed, to search for a Fairy Monster. Player B CAN in this instance now chain "Droll & Lock Bird", thus preventing the Search off of "Benten's" effect.

If you meant it like this:
Player A activates the effect of "Drytron Alpha Thuban", tributing "Cyberangel Natasha" for cost. Player B chains their set "Jar of Greed". The chain resolves and Player B draws "Droll & Lock Bird" off their "Jar of Greed". Player A resolves "Drytron Alpha Thuban", summoning it in DEF Position and searching for "Cyberangel Benten". Player A then proceeds into an open gamestate and as turn player activates "Cyber Emergency". In this instance Player B CANNOT chain "Droll & Lock Bird", because "Droll & Lock Bird" is also a trigger effect that can only be activated AFTER resolving a chain in which your opponent added cards from their Main Deck to their hand.

I hope this clears everything up :)

Wek

Post #6 by Wek » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:29 pm

greg503 wrote:
ReturnOfTheHurp wrote:Your opponent activates another search card in the resolution window of the initial chain, or in a separate chain after an open gamestate has been reached?

Since Droll is a trigger effect, you will be able to activate it before your opponent can chain another search card

Droll is not a trigger effect.

I wonder if there's a ruling that says fast effects follow the same rules as triggers for the hand rulings originally posed. I'd expect them to function similarly in this respect at least though.

greg503

Post #7 by greg503 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:33 am

Wek wrote:
greg503 wrote:

Since Droll is a trigger effect, you will be able to activate it before your opponent can chain another search card

I wonder if there's a ruling that says fast effects follow the same rules as triggers for the hand rulings originally posed. I'd expect them to function similarly in this respect at least though.

Droll having a condition basically means it's a trigger effect that you can activate any time during the chain immediately following it's condition...
Buy Floowandereeze

Wek

Post #8 by Wek » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:29 am

greg503 wrote:
Wek wrote:
greg503 wrote:Since Droll is a trigger effect, you will be able to activate it before your opponent can chain another search card

Droll having a condition basically means it's a trigger effect that you can activate any time during the chain immediately following it's condition...

It being an optional quick effect means you don't use it in SEGOC, but do get to chain it to other fast effects, unlike triggers, to name a couple of the more obvious differences between the two. Effect classification has functional differences to keep an eye out for.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”