Defense Zone + Blockout Curtain

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Tussin

Defense Zone + Blockout Curtain

Post #1 by Tussin » Mon May 23, 2022 5:33 pm

Defense Zone

For each monster a player controls in their Main Monster Zone, their Spells/Traps in the same column as that monster cannot be destroyed by their opponent's card effects, and their opponent cannot target them with card effects.

Blockout Curtain

If a card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or an opponent's card effect, you can destroy this card instead of 1 of those cards. If a card(s) your opponent controls would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can banish this card from your GY instead of 1 of those cards. You can only use each effect of "Blockout Curtain" once per turn.

i was wondering if this would work together from my opponents cards? say i have a monster in zone 3 with blockout curtain in zone 3. if my opponent tries to destroy my monster in zone 3 by battle or card effect, would Defense Zone prevent Blockout Curtain from being destroyed while protecting my monster? or would Bo C still be destroyed from it's own effect? trying to clarify priorities in the chain here?

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Defense Zone protects the Spell/Trap in question from destruction only by opponent's card effects. Since your Blockout Curtain destroys itself, it's treated as being destroyed by your card effect, not an opponent's card effect, so no, Defense Zone wouldn't protect it in this scenario.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”