Can I tribute set using a Scapegoat token?

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
skyelbow

Can I tribute set using a Scapegoat token?

Post #1 by skyelbow » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:54 pm

I need to know for goat format.

Slitina

Post #2 by Slitina » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:01 pm

skyelbow wrote:I need to know for goat format.

Tribute set is still a tribute summon.
Reincarnate from the flames! Reincarnation Link Summon! Be reborn! Link 3 Salamangreat Heatleo! Image

Slitina

Post #3 by Slitina » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:01 pm

Reincarnate from the flames! Reincarnation Link Summon! Be reborn! Link 3 Salamangreat Heatleo! Image

Christen57

Post #4 by Christen57 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:08 pm

Slitina wrote:

Tribute Setting is NOT Tribute Summoning. You can tribute Scapegoat's tokens for a tribute set.

Slitina

Post #5 by Slitina » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Slitina wrote:

Tribute Setting is NOT Tribute Summoning. You can tribute Scapegoat's tokens for a tribute set.

Bit wack but I will take it

Genexwrecker

Post #6 by Genexwrecker » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:59 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Slitina wrote:

scapegoat tokens cannot be tributed to tribute set a monster
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Slitina wrote:Tribute set is still a tribute summon.

Wait, what now? Scapegoat says they can't be tributed for tribute summon, it doesn't say they can't be tributed for tribute set.

Wek

Post #8 by Wek » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Wait, what now? Scapegoat says they can't be tributed for tribute summon, it doesn't say they can't be tributed for tribute set.

Any reason you'd expect Goat to be using special rulings on this different from regular Yugioh? I don't recall this differing between the two. Tribute setting is a form of tribute summoning, despite not being a kind of summon. It's a bit strange, but well documented in the current game.

Genexwrecker

Post #9 by Genexwrecker » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:12 am

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Its all encompassing
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Christen57

Post #10 by Christen57 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:46 pm

Wek wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

Any reason you'd expect Goat to be using special rulings on this different from regular Yugioh? I don't recall this differing between the two. Tribute setting is a form of tribute summoning, despite not being a kind of summon. It's a bit strange, but well documented in the current game.

Fine, but it really shouldn't be ruled that way since it would cause players to think they can activate Bottomless Trap Hole in response to a tribute set.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #11 by Lil Oldman » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:50 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Wek wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Fine, but it really shouldn't be ruled that way since it would cause players to think they can activate Bottomless Trap Hole in response to a tribute set.

Uh, the monster's stats aren't public knowledge, so even if they tried, they have no way of verifing the stats of said monster.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Christen57

Post #12 by Christen57 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Wek wrote:

Uh, the monster's stats aren't public knowledge, so even if they tried, they have no way of verifing the stats of said monster.

Okay then replace "Bottomless Trap Hole" with Saber Hole.

greg503

Post #13 by greg503 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:00 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

The OCG text of these basically says "When (you or) your opponent [Normal] Summons, Flip Summons, or Special Summons a monster:"
Buy Floowandereeze

itsmetristan

Post #14 by itsmetristan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

The TCG rulebook covers this. Any time a card mentions "Tribute Summon," it also means "Tribute Set" at the same time. This is a case of there being some wording differences between the TCG and the OCG. To summarize:

● The OCG has no equivalent of the TCG's "Summon"

● e.g., OCG Torrential Tribute reads [TCG] "a monster is Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned, or Special Summoned"
● A [OCG] 召喚 (lit. "Summon") is a [TCG] Normal Summon, in face-up Attack Position unless card effects are involved.
● A [OCG] 通常召喚 (lit. "Normal Summon") is a [TCG] Normal Summon/Set, the thing you can manually do once per turn.
● This particular gotcha has caused many many translation errors over the years. Almiraj is a notable one. Ido, another one. Also, Mausoleum of the Emperor.
● A [OCG] アドバンス召喚 (lit. "Advance Summon") is an [OCG] 通常召喚 that has used Tributes. In other words, it is a Normal Summon OR SET, which has used Tributes.
● The TCG, consistently, localizes [OCG] アドバンス召喚 as [TCG] "Tribute Summon".
● This is why [TCG] "Tribute Summon" consistently includes [TCG] "Tribute Set", but [TCG] "Normal Summon" does not include [TCG] "Normal Set".
● Note that [TCG] Tribute Setting is still not a [TCG] "Summon", which, remember, would read [TCG] "Normal Summon, Flip Summon, or Special Summon" in the OCG.
● If they mean Tribute Summon, in face-up Attack Position, they will tell you so. (see: True Draco monsters)

RC-2
PC-1

Senior Admin

Wek

Post #15 by Wek » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:45 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Saber Hole doesn't specify tribute summon. Like I said before, it's not a summon, it's not going to set off Saber Hole.

When it comes to tribute setting being a form of tribute summoning anyways, this kind of stuff is easy to find. The Rulebook introduces it, there's a ton of rulings on it, etc.

I'm not sure what you're on about with this "shouldn't be ruled that way since it would cause players to think x thing...". :| Of course you should rule it the way it works in Yugioh. If a player isn't following the rules of the game, that's on them. You tell them how it works and rule accordingly.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”