TrickStar Light Stage rulling

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Maxxwell1

TrickStar Light Stage rulling

Post #1 by Maxxwell1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 am

My opponent used TrickStar Light Stage to target my facedown (which was a continious spell card) and at the end phase my opponent was trying to force me to destroy it. Am I reading the card wrong or something? Light stage says activate the card at EP or destroy it. I didn't want to destroy it, so I chose to activate. Since it was a continious spell card I figured it wouldn't hurt me since it would stay on the field. but my Opponent went into aa full blown 4 year old tantrum and started blasting text at me saying I can't with lots of swear words, so I had no luck calmly trying to get a proper explanation out of him/her. after 20 seconds of TEXT SCREAMING he quit out of the blue. I tried to look up the card online but theres no rullings out yet. Anyone have an answer for me?

TheFear(-_-)

Post #2 by TheFear(-_-) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 am

u cant activate the card as it has to be a card u can activate in your opponents turn.

MadRest

Post #3 by MadRest » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:53 am

You obviously have to meet its activation requirements in order to have the option of activating it. And the activation requirement of any Continuous Spell Card is "during your Main Phase" by default.

Also, Light Stage doesn't destroy the card; it just sends it to the Graveyard.

Maxxwell1

Post #4 by Maxxwell1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am

I know how to play yugioh. I've been playing for years. I was just not sure how trickstart Light stage works since its new and I couldn't find a rulling online. in hindsight I should have made this more clear in my first post, I was not sure if Light stage's effect would allow me to force the activation.

MadRest

Post #5 by MadRest » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 am

Strike Ninja wrote:They blasted you because you didn't know the basics for the game. I advise using an unrated section instead of rated, until you understand the game better, then enter rated to avoid that.

Duel notes can help to explain you are learning the game still if that is the case.

This is not something that falls under the basics of the game. Lots of people assume Light Stage forces the card's activation, and no one can blame them, since its text can be read that way as well.

MadRest

Post #6 by MadRest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Strike Ninja wrote:Cards do not do what they don't state, it doesn't state it forces the activation, and cards such as bait doll DO state it specifically. This isn't about whether it falls under basics (it does actually) it's about the entire concept of "read what the card does, not what it doesn't do".

You can disagree all you want, but it's your OPINION that it's NOT basic, and simply that. It's not a "fact of the game" so please don't shove your ideology down my throat, or the throats of others!

Well, it's your opinion as well... And you can't expect all players to know about an obscure card such as Bait Doll. It isn't so unreasonable that a player reading Light Stage would assume it works that way; this isn't something that is obvious just from reading the card as you say.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”