Maiden with Eyes of Blue vs. Cyber Dragon Infinity

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
MachinesDude77

Maiden with Eyes of Blue vs. Cyber Dragon Infinity

Post #1 by MachinesDude77 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 am

Hello everyone, I've been searching all over the place and can't quite find an answer for this, so I'd very much appreciate it if you could share your expertise on this. :)

The cards:

Cyber Dragon Infinity and Maiden with Eyes of Blue

https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?ope=2&cid=11765

https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?ope=2&cid=10588

The interaction:

In Main Phase 1,

1st: Cyber Dragon Infinity targets Maiden with Eyes of Blue to attach as XYZ material.
2nd: Maiden activates its effect to summon a Blue Eyes White Dragon.
3rd: (the same) Cyber Dragon Infinity detaches one XYZ material in response in order to negate the summon

My question is this: can Cyber Dragon Infinity do this, and if it does, is the summon negated?
If so, is Maiden: A) still taken as XYZ material B) destroyed or C) left on the field?

A friend and I have been arguing about this lately, with him asserting that Maiden is destroyed and the BEWD is still summoned. Is this correct?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:15 pm

MachinesDude77 wrote:Hello everyone, I've been searching all over the place and can't quite find an answer for this, so I'd very much appreciate it if you could share your expertise on this. :)

The cards:

The interaction:

In Main Phase 1,

1st: Cyber Dragon Infinity targets Maiden with Eyes of Blue to attach as XYZ material.
3rd: (the same) Cyber Dragon Infinity detaches one XYZ material in response in order to negate the summon

My question is this: can Cyber Dragon Infinity do this, and if it does, is the summon negated?
If so, is Maiden: A) still taken as XYZ material B) destroyed or C) left on the field?

A friend and I have been arguing about this lately, with him asserting that Maiden is destroyed and the BEWD is still summoned. Is this correct?

1. Yes, Infinity can activate both of its effects in the same chain.
2. This negates Maiden's effect and destroys her.
3. Therefore, Maiden will no longer be on the field, Infinity's attach effect will resolve without effect, and BEWD won't be summoned because Maiden's effect to do so was negated.
Buy Floowandereeze

MachinesDude77

Post #3 by MachinesDude77 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:33 am

Ah okay, thanks for clearing this up for me!

s.nickid

Post #4 by s.nickid » Fri May 06, 2022 2:36 pm

@Greg503: to prevent confusing other player, when a monster negated the activation, do not say it negated the summoned, even thought the summoned will not happen because the activated effect got the activation negated. Other people that are new to this and see this, they might mistakenly think that they can specifically negated the summoned of a blue-eyes white dragon summoned by the effect of maiden with eyes of blue.

Fredblade
Mood:

Post #5 by Fredblade » Fri May 06, 2022 3:18 pm

MachinesDude77 wrote:Hello everyone, I've been searching all over the place and can't quite find an answer for this, so I'd very much appreciate it if you could share your expertise on this. :)

The cards:

The interaction:

In Main Phase 1,

Infinity says: "Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it." What do you think "negate" means?

So to describe how the entire situation would proceed, it would go like this:

Player A activates Cyber Dragon Infinity's effect "Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up Attack Position monster on the field; attach it to this card as material." by targeting Player B's Maiden with the Eyes of Blue.

Player B chains the effect of Maiden with the Eyes of Blue "When a card or effect is activated that targets this card (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon 1 "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" from your hand, Deck, or GY."

Player A then chains the effect of Cyber Dragon Infinity "Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it."

The chain resolves backwards so the Cyber Dragon Infinity negates the activation of Maiden's effect and destroys it. Maiden's effect activation is negated so there's no special summon to occur. Then, since Maiden is no longer on the field because it got destroyed, the first effect of Infinity to attach her as material missed its target and doesn't attach it as a material.

greg503

Post #6 by greg503 » Sat May 07, 2022 12:40 am

s.nickid wrote:@Greg503: to prevent confusing other player, when a monster negated the activation, do not say it negated the summoned, even thought the summoned will not happen because the activated effect got the activation negated. Other people that are new to this and see this, they might mistakenly think that they can specifically negated the summoned of a blue-eyes white dragon summoned by the effect of maiden with eyes of blue.

I said that Maiden was negated therefore a summon wouldn't happen, how did my wording confuse you in the first place?
Buy Floowandereeze

Genexwrecker

Post #7 by Genexwrecker » Sat May 07, 2022 12:43 am

greg503 wrote:
s.nickid wrote:@Greg503: to prevent confusing other player, when a monster negated the activation, do not say it negated the summoned, even thought the summoned will not happen because the activated effect got the activation negated. Other people that are new to this and see this, they might mistakenly think that they can specifically negated the summoned of a blue-eyes white dragon summoned by the effect of maiden with eyes of blue.

I said that Maiden was negated therefore a summon wouldn't happen, how did my wording confuse you in the first place?

You said maidens effect was negated which is very incorrect as infinity does not have any effect that negates effects.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

greg503

Post #8 by greg503 » Sat May 07, 2022 12:57 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
greg503 wrote:

You said maidens effect was negated which is very incorrect as infinity does not have any effect that negates effects.

Sorry, is "negate the activation" better?
Buy Floowandereeze

Genexwrecker

Post #9 by Genexwrecker » Sat May 07, 2022 1:29 am

Yes
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Wek

Post #10 by Wek » Sat May 07, 2022 5:32 am

The cards:

The interaction:

In Main Phase 1,

Infinity doesn't have any effect that negates summons, so if you're trying to use it as summon negation that could be what's making this scenario so confusing for you.
Infinity can chain its effect and negate the activation of Maiden's effect and destroy Maiden though. As a result Maiden's effect does not resolve. Infinity's effect to attach will resolve without doing anything since there no longer exists a monster to attach.

s.nickid

Post #11 by s.nickid » Sat May 07, 2022 5:51 pm

@Greg503: you did not confused me, that was why I place other people in my sentence to confirmed it was not me who can be confused by your wording. English is not my first language however I suck at writing in French this is why I could be wrong that mentioning other people could have include me and that was not my intention.

Cromat

Post #12 by Cromat » Sat May 07, 2022 7:08 pm

So.. If some random person came and started to read these, what will they see?
So can we say; when we start to resolve of all these Chain Links backwards..
The answer is:
Fredblade wrote:The chain resolves backwards so the Cyber Dragon Infinity negates the activation of Maiden's effect and destroys it. Maiden's effect activation is negated so there's no special summon to occur. Then, since Maiden is no longer on the field because it got destroyed, the first effect of Infinity to attach her as material missed its target and doesn't attach it as a material.

Thanks to "Fredblade" for their answer and interest.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”