Where do cards go during chain

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
milton555

Where do cards go during chain

Post #1 by milton555 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:24 am

Say my opponent activates Nightmare Unicorn eff targeting my face down Reckless Greed. I activate Reckless Greed in chain to Unicorn.

Chain rulings say a card remains on the field until the end of the chain, which is when they are sent to grave. This is true unless a card in the chain moves it to a new location. When the chain resolves, I draw 2 cards. Where does Reckless Greed go? Does he go to the deck when Unicorn resolves or he goes to grave? I've been getting confusing explanations in-duels and need a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 pm

milton555 wrote:Say my opponent activates Nightmare Unicorn eff targeting my face down Reckless Greed. I activate Reckless Greed in chain to Unicorn.

Chain rulings say a card remains on the field until the end of the chain, which is when they are sent to grave. This is true unless a card in the chain moves it to a new location. When the chain resolves, I draw 2 cards. Where does Reckless Greed go? Does he go to the deck when Unicorn resolves or he goes to grave? I've been getting confusing explanations in-duels and need a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

Once Reckless Greed is activated, it gets marked to go to the graveyard. Effects that would try to put it anywhere else like Unicorn don't.
Buy Floowandereeze

Christen57

Post #3 by Christen57 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 pm

greg503 wrote:
milton555 wrote:Say my opponent activates Nightmare Unicorn eff targeting my face down Reckless Greed. I activate Reckless Greed in chain to Unicorn.

Thanks in advance.

Once Reckless Greed is activated, it gets marked to go to the graveyard. Effects that would try to put it anywhere else like Unicorn don't.

I believe this is only because things like Knightmare Unicorn specifically target the Reckless Greed. If an effect would try to put Reckless Greed into the deck without targeting it, like Madolche Queen Tiaramisu's effect, the Reckless Greed would indeed go back into the deck instead of the graveyard if it was chained.

Genexwrecker

Post #4 by Genexwrecker » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm

If reckless greed is activated it cannot be returned to the hand or deck. It may still be banished or set or become xyz material or destroyed or sent to the gy by card effects or costs.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:If reckless greed is activated it cannot be returned to the hand or deck. It may still be banished or set or become xyz material or destroyed or sent to the gy by card effects or costs.

What about if a non-targeting effect like Madolche Queen Tiaramisu's effect would return it back to the deck?

ominous

Post #6 by ominous » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:18 pm

Cards in a chain get stored in the balls.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:07 am

ominous wrote:Cards in a chain get stored in the balls.

You mind taking the jokes elsewhere, like spam paradise or something? This part of the forum is specifically for people to get help with ruling stuff.

Genexwrecker

Post #8 by Genexwrecker » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:23 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:If reckless greed is activated it cannot be returned to the hand or deck. It may still be banished or set or become xyz material or destroyed or sent to the gy by card effects or costs.

What about if a non-targeting effect like Madolche Queen Tiaramisu's effect would return it back to the deck?

Apply my above statement. Targeting has nothing to do with this mechanic.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Return to “Rulings Q&A”