Card Questions

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
KingKenka

Card Questions

Post #1 by KingKenka » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:33 pm

I'm a little unclear about how certain cards work. #1. Why is there an entirely separate rule book for link monsters? (not a real question)

Penguin Squires effect says that it can be special summoned if a monster is set on the field. Does that mean I can special summon it after I set a monster on the field or if I draw it and there is already a monster set on the field can I summon it? Also with reducing its levels by 1 or 2, is it my choice to reduce it by one or two, or does it depend on something?

Another card I have a question about is the Enchanted Javelin. The text is different from what is on the actual card though my actual card is from a joey starter deck from the early 2000s so did the rules change for it or is it still targeted to the opponent's monster?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:39 pm

KingKenka wrote:I'm a little unclear about how certain cards work. #1. Why is there an entirely separate rule book for link monsters? (not a real question)

Penguin Squires effect says that it can be special summoned if a monster is set on the field. Does that mean I can special summon it after I set a monster on the field or if I draw it and there is already a monster set on the field can I summon it? Also with reducing its levels by 1 or 2, is it my choice to reduce it by one or two, or does it depend on something?

Another card I have a question about is the Enchanted Javelin. The text is different from what is on the actual card though my actual card is from a joey starter deck from the early 2000s so did the rules change for it or is it still targeted to the opponent's monster?

For Penguin Squire: It's a trigger effect, you activate it immediately after you set a monster if you want to summon it that way. There are 2 undisputed monster set methods, with "Special Summoning in face-down Defense" maybe counting. The Normal Set, and changing a monster to face-down Defense via a card like Book of Moon are definitely triggers for this card.
For Enchanted Javelin: Yes it targets as per the OCG database: https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=4&cid=4992
Buy Floowandereeze

Christen57

Post #3 by Christen57 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:46 pm

Penguin Squire would trigger upon the card in question being set. If it didn't care when that card was set, and only cared that you controlled that set card, it would be worded more like "If you control a Set monster" or "If a Set monster is on your field".

Cards always use the latest erratas, so if Enchanted Javelin's erratas fundamentally changed how the card works, you should get a copy with the latest errata to avoid confusion.

My guess as to why there's a separate book for link monsters is because it would probably be overwhelming to new players if they had to learn ritual, fusion, synchro, xyz, pendulum, and link summoning all at once in a single book, but I don't know for sure why Konami does these things.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”