Mirror Gate confusion elemantal hero support card

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
s.nickid

Mirror Gate confusion elemantal hero support card

Post #1 by s.nickid » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Mirror Gate is a trap card that activated when an Elemental hero his targeted for an attack, and it resolve by switching control of both monster and calculating damage, according to the text, is says both monster control have to switch, since one of them is destroy by battle, they cannot both switch control during the endphase, so the one that used the trap would get perminate control of my monster is that correct under the new rules? I know here it is TCG, but when I translated the japanese text to english using google translate, the way it is writen, the control would switch during the end phase, even if only one remain?

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #2 by Ir0n » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mirror Gate would try to resolve as much as possible, thus only returning the remaining monster to its owner's control during the End Phase, as the other monster is, as you said, destroyed.

s.nickid

Post #3 by s.nickid » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 pm

Maybe a judge can take a look, to give a correct answer on the rulling, to confirmed if the contradiction between TCG and OCG is still truth under the new rules. I know if Mirror gate exist in Goat format since it is elemantal hero support card, the the contradiction between TCG and OCG is truth.

Christen57

Post #4 by Christen57 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:55 pm

First of all, unless there's some ruling that says otherwise, you always go by the card's english text, not whatever it might say in japanese. Google translate in particular often gets translations wrong anyways, so that shouldn't be relied on for yugioh cards.

Second, you were right the first time. Since Mirror Gate says that "Control of both monsters switches back during the End Phase," you have to switch control of both monsters or else nothing gets switched back. If one of them can't switch back for whatever reason, like, because it was destroyed in battle, then the other won't switch back in the end phase.

greg503

Post #5 by greg503 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:04 pm

If you had to give the monster back, it would play like a worse Dimension Wall, which is just worse Magic Cylinder.
Buy Floowandereeze

s.nickid

Post #6 by s.nickid » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 pm

@Christen57 Thanks!

Return to “Rulings Q&A”