Activation of Pacifis mid-chain

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
TheGeminiGod

Activation of Pacifis mid-chain

Post #1 by TheGeminiGod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:45 pm

I have asked many people on different occasions this question, and I have gotten different answers, so I will ask here, as I think it probably will come up at some point, and mos probably, there will be judge calls often

In my Phantasm Spiral deck, I run a card called Sea Stealth Attack, which has the effect to activate Umi (Pacifis is treated as Umi) from the hand or graveyard on activation of this continuous trap card.

If I was to activate a Sea Stealth Attack to activate it from the GY in the middle of a chain, can I activate the effect of Pacifis to special summon a token?

Just a simple reminder that, due to Pacifis being chain link 1, the effect to special summon a token ONLY activates in a new chain, and the verification for if you have a token is made after the chain resolved (which is why you can summon a token after your opponent uses Raigeki on your token)

So, I'm wondering if the verification of "is this card on the field" also happens after that chain resolves.

Monarch Snow

Post #2 by Monarch Snow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:44 am

Pacifis:
(This card's name is always treated as "Umi".)

You cannot Normal or Special Summon Effect Monsters the turn you activate either of this card's effects (even if this card leaves the field).

Once per turn, if you Normal or Special Summon exactly 1 Normal Monster (and no other cards): Add 1 "Phantasm Spiral" card from your Deck to your hand.

If your opponent activates a card or effect (except during the Damage Step), and you control no Tokens: You can Special Summon 1 "Phantasm Spiral Token" (Wyrm-Type/WATER/Level 8/ATK 2000/DEF 2000).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sea Stealth Attack:
When this card is activated: You can activate 1 "Umi" from your hand or GY.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the scenario, you are activating a card, your opponent is not activating a card or effect, so I don't see why you would be able to activate the 2nd activated effect of Pacifis.

In the other scenario, you mentioned, you stated that it would activate in a new chain, which is correct. The effect is Spell Speed 1 and it triggers when its activation requirement is met (this can be during either player's turn). Even if a monster(s) were to be Summoned when the 2nd activated effect of Pacifis is resolving, a Spiral Token would still be Special Summoned.
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

TheGeminiGod

Post #3 by TheGeminiGod » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:26 am

I am sorry I was not clear enough. I will rephrase that and hope I made it more clear.

If I activate Sea Stealth Attack (or Metaverse) in response to my opponent activating a card or effect so Pacifis, the Phantasm City will activate in the middle of the chain, can I summon a token once that chain resolved, or will I have to wait for another card or effect was activated by my opponent?

MadRest

Post #4 by MadRest » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Pacifis's effect cannot be activated in your case, since Pacifis needs to have already been resolved and be on the field at the time the card or effect is activated.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”