Cyber Dragon Infinity negated summon

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Cyber_Hamster

Cyber Dragon Infinity negated summon

Post #1 by Cyber_Hamster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 am

If a summon of Cyber Dragon Infinity is negated by Solem, Can I special summmon another one? and why?

TheGeminiGod

Post #2 by TheGeminiGod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:56 pm

As your question is a bit vague, I will first describe what happens when Cyber Dragon Infinity's summon get negated by a Solemn card.

When an XYZ summon is negated, all it's XYZ materials are sent to the graveyard along with the monster.

So, yes, you can special summon another Cyber Dragon Infinity from your extra deck, but you will first have to get Cyber Dragon Nova.

Also, you can't revive the Cyber Dragon Infinity whose summon was negated, because it was not properly summoned

Monarch Snow

Post #3 by Monarch Snow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 pm

3 Level 6 LIGHT Machine monsters

Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Cyber Dragon Infinity" by using "Cyber Dragon Nova" you control as material. (Transfer its materials to this card.)

If the Xyz Summon of Cyber Dragon Infinity is negated by Solemn Warning/Judgment/Strike. You will NOT be able to Xyz Summon Cyber Dragon Infinity using another "Cyber Dragon Nova".

To Xyz Summon Cyber Dragon Infinity in that turn, you must Xyz Summon it actually using 3 Level 6 LIGHT monsters.

An OCG ruling will support this: https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=5&fid=15005&keyword=&tag=-1

Also, you cannot use Monster Reborn/Call of the Haunted/etc. to Special Summon a "Cyber Dragon Infinity" whose Summon was negated.
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

Cyber_Hamster

Post #4 by Cyber_Hamster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:08 am

TheGeminiGod wrote:As your question is a bit vague, I will first describe what happens when Cyber Dragon Infinity's summon get negated by a Solemn card.

When an XYZ summon is negated, all it's XYZ materials are sent to the graveyard along with the monster.

So, yes, you can special summon another Cyber Dragon Infinity from your extra deck, but you will first have to get Cyber Dragon Nova.

Also, you can't revive the Cyber Dragon Infinity whose summon was negated, because it was not properly summoned

Monarch Snow post the opposite rulling ='( i am still very confused

Cyber_Hamster

Post #5 by Cyber_Hamster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 am

Monarch Snow wrote:3 Level 6 LIGHT Machine monsters

Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Cyber Dragon Infinity" by using "Cyber Dragon Nova" you control as material. (Transfer its materials to this card.)

If the Xyz Summon of Cyber Dragon Infinity is negated by Solemn Warning/Judgment/Strike. You will NOT be able to Xyz Summon Cyber Dragon Infinity using another "Cyber Dragon Nova".

To Xyz Summon Cyber Dragon Infinity in that turn, you must Xyz Summon it actually using 3 Level 6 LIGHT monsters.

An OCG ruling will support this: https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=5&fid=15005&keyword=&tag=-1

Also, you cannot use Monster Reborn/Call of the Haunted/etc. to Special Summon a "Cyber Dragon Infinity" whose Summon was negated.

The URL failed, can you help us? every player have a diferent rulling as you can see. ='(

Yang Xiao Long

Post #6 by Yang Xiao Long » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Cyber_Hamster wrote:
The URL failed, can you help us? every player have a diferent rulling as you can see. ='(

Snow is correct. You can only attempt to summon Cyber Dragon infinity using the alternate XYZ summoning method that uses Nova once per turn. Even if the summon is negated, you have already attempted the alternate method once that turn and cannot do it again this turn.
Hashira | Tournament Organizer | Tournament Champion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheGeminiGod

Post #7 by TheGeminiGod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

I will start of by saying sorry if I seem to be bringing something that would probably be resolved already, but I am a bit skeptic when I see inconsistencies in rulings. It just seems to me that there is something wrong. As of the weird inconsistancy I am seeing:

You can't attempt to summon a specific way if the summon gets negated and the monster says that you can only summon it that way once per turn, but you can activate a spell like Pot of Duality more than once if the activation gets negated?

MadRest

Post #8 by MadRest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:13 pm

TheGeminiGod wrote:I will start of by saying sorry if I seem to be bringing something that would probably be resolved already, but I am a bit skeptic when I see inconsistencies in rulings. It just seems to me that there is something wrong. As of the weird inconsistancy I am seeing:

You can't attempt to summon a specific way if the summon gets negated and the monster says that you can only summon it that way once per turn, but you can activate a spell like Pot of Duality more than once if the activation gets negated?

Yes. This game has a lot of double standards.

TheGeminiGod

Post #9 by TheGeminiGod » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Makes it hard to understand how a ruling works, seeing as sometimes they will just completely disregard the fact that they did something similar before.

I guess I should've remembered that time when I played Six Samurai, if you negate your opponent's S/T under Great Shogun Shien, they could activate another one, but if you negate a normal summon with Solemn Warning, they couldn't normal summon another monster...

Monarch Snow

Post #10 by Monarch Snow » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:31 am

Cyber_Hamster wrote:
Monarch Snow wrote:3 Level 6 LIGHT Machine monsters

http://prntscr.com/jb2lgl - Change your Language Setting to Japanese to view the OCG Ruling.
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

Shugunou

Post #11 by Shugunou » Sun May 10, 2020 1:15 pm

Basically, Infinity says that you can xyz summon one card of its name using nova. If you attempt to do this, but the summon is negated, it still counts as if you summoned it for that effect. This is similar to if a hard once per turn effect is negated or the activation of a card that has a hard once per turn on the activation like "The monarchs pantheism" is negated. It is an attempted summon so it still counts.

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #12 by Ir0n » Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am

TheGeminiGod wrote:I will start of by saying sorry if I seem to be bringing something that would probably be resolved already, but I am a bit skeptic when I see inconsistencies in rulings. It just seems to me that there is something wrong. As of the weird inconsistancy I am seeing:

In the case of an effect being negated PSCT dictates the following:

If the card says "You can only ACTIVATE /a card with this card's name/ once per turn" and its ACTIVATION is negated, then you can activate a second copy. If Pot of duality get's Ashed (Ash Blossom doesn't negate the activation) you cannot activate a second copy.

If the card says "You can only USE /a card with this card's name/ once per turn" you CANNOT activate a second copy if the first one get's negated (even if the activation is negated).

I don't think there is PSCT that specific for Xyz-Changing monsters like Infinity, but it would make sense that this is akin to the ruling of "use once per turn".

Return to “Rulings Q&A”