Can we get an official ruling on what the "adjacent" zones are that Springans Ship - Exblowrer will destroy cards in?

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Christen57

Can we get an official ruling on what the "adjacent" zones are that Springans Ship - Exblowrer will destroy cards in?

Post #1 by Christen57 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:20 am

For a long time, it was believed that if this was your zone (where the red target is):

Image #1

Then the adjacent zones would be here and here (where the blue targets are):

Image #2

However, we now have a card called Springans Ship - Exbrowrer with an effect saying:

You can choose 1 of your opponent's Monster Zones or Spell & Trap Zones; detach any number of materials from this card, and if you do, destroy the same number of cards your opponent controls in that chosen zone and its adjacent Monster Zones and/or Spell & Trap Zones.

Because of this new card and how it's worded, we now have some people who claim that the red target's "adjacent" zones now refer to these 4 zones (where the blue targets are):

Image #3

and other people believe that the red target's "adjacent" zones include these 2 additional zones as well:

Image #4

So I was hoping for an official ruling, preferably on the DB Head Judge Q&A by the DB Head Judge, about whether the "adjacent" zones Springans Ship - Exblowrer is referring to are the (horizontal) zones in Image #2, the (horizontal and vertical) zones in Image #3, or the (horizontal, vertical, and diagonal) zones in Image #4, because I've now seen people in rated resolve Springans Ship - Exblowrer's destruction effect as if it could destroy only cards in horizontal zones like in Image #2, only cards in horizontal and vertical zones like in Image #3, and cards in horizontal, vertical, and diagonal zones like in Image #4.

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:30 am

Adjacent has always been directly next to each other. So it wouldn't be image 4 of the actual Target by that monster's effect.

Though because I just looked up the ruling

Q: Can I activate the effect of "Springans Ship - Exblowrer" by selecting an opponent's unoccupied zone?
A: Yes, you can. However, since you must select a zone that would result in an opponent's card being destroyed, you must select a zone where there is at least 1 card in either the selected zone or the Monster/Spell & Trap Zones on either side, behind, and in front of that zone

This question seems to be sounding like it is Image 4.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”