Battle butler vs Devyaty

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Speed

Battle butler vs Devyaty

Post #1 by Speed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 am

If I activate butler in cl1 banishing meow for cost, then my opponent chains devyaty to negate and banish and i then chain butlers eff again to wipe the remaining monsters, will butler be banished at the point that devyaty negs the first wipe?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:10 am

No, because Butler tributes itself as cost, the same reason Mechaba doesn't banish an Ash Blossom it negates.
Buy Floowandereeze

{ChAoS_KinGs}DoR

Post #3 by {ChAoS_KinGs}DoR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

Greg has it correct, cards to not get banished if they are negated and banished when the card is physically in the GY. In order for a card to banish a card from the GY and negate the effect, the card would specifically need a way to banish from the GY, like Called by the Grave.
Amidst the eternal waves of time.
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise.
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings a black sheath.

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 pm

{ChAoS_KinGs}DoR wrote:Greg has it correct, cards to not get banished if they are negated and banished when the card is physically in the GY. In order for a card to banish a card from the GY and negate the effect, the card would specifically need a way to banish from the GY, like Called by the Grave.

I thought it was that effects resolve where they activate. Butler activates on the field, but is no longer on the field, making Devyaty have nothing to banish.
Buy Floowandereeze

{ChAoS_KinGs}DoR

Post #5 by {ChAoS_KinGs}DoR » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 am

greg503 wrote:
{ChAoS_KinGs}DoR wrote:Greg has it correct, cards to not get banished if they are negated and banished when the card is physically in the GY. In order for a card to banish a card from the GY and negate the effect, the card would specifically need a way to banish from the GY, like Called by the Grave.

I thought it was that effects resolve where they activate. Butler activates on the field, but is no longer on the field, making Devyaty have nothing to banish.

Upon further review, in the case a card does activate in the GY and doesn't move anywhere else, Mechaba (and by extension Devyaty) will banish the card from the GY upon resolution. Your assessment is correct.
Amidst the eternal waves of time.
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise.
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings a black sheath.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”