Chain and stop Negate of Royale Decree

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
CreatureFeature

Chain and stop Negate of Royale Decree

Post #1 by CreatureFeature » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:20 pm

So, just played a match and guy had two set cards. I attacked and he activated widespread ruin. I chained to royal decree, then guy activated compuls evac device to send my monster back. I said royale negates and he said it chains backwards so compuls evac is not neated which i thought was horse shit but w/e i won anyway. This legal?
:?: :!:
Thanks in advance y'all!!!

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:42 pm

CreatureFeature wrote:So, just played a match and guy had two set cards. I attacked and he activated widespread ruin. I chained to royal decree, then guy activated compuls evac device to send my monster back. I said royale negates and he said it chains backwards so compuls evac is not neated which i thought was horse shit but w/e i won anyway. This legal?
:?: :!:
Thanks in advance y'all!!!

Yes, that play was legal. Cards and effects do not automatically apply before any chain resolves.

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Chain Read more here.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Ghostrareduelist27

Post #3 by Ghostrareduelist27 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:08 am

Royal decree is a great card, but since its a trap card, it starts a chain. That would be different from summoning a Jinzo because continuous monster effects don't start chains when they hit the field.

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Continuous_Effect

mogu

Post #4 by mogu » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:24 pm

Unless I'm interpreting something here incorrectly, here's how this chainlink went:
CL1 - Widespread Ruin
CL2 - Royal Decree
CL3 - Compulse
When you ask "Is this legal?" I'll assume you mean what YOU said, in this case your opponent would be correct.
The chain resolves backwards, Compulse resolves successfully, and then royal decree negates Widespread Ruin.

Return to “Rulings Q&A”