Royal decree vs graveyard traps

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
milton555

Royal decree vs graveyard traps

Post #1 by milton555 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:54 am

Royal decree says "Negate all other trap effects on the field." Does this mean traps effects whose resolution involves the field (traps that resolve on the field) or traps that activate on the field? I'm particularly interested in traps that activate in the grave but resolve on the field such as breakthrough skill and the golden land traps. If royal decree is active, can a trap in the grave affect the field?

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Breakthrough Skill DOES NOT activate or resolve on the field if you're using its Graveyard effect.

The cards being considered on the field if they are in the Extra Monster Zones, Main Monster Zones, Spell/Trap Zones, Field Spell Zone.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

greg503

Post #3 by greg503 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm

milton555 wrote:Royal decree says "Negate all other trap effects on the field." Does this mean traps effects whose resolution involves the field (traps that resolve on the field) or traps that activate on the field? I'm particularly interested in traps that activate in the grave but resolve on the field such as breakthrough skill and the golden land traps. If royal decree is active, can a trap in the grave affect the field?

Effects resolve where they activate, this is where the Invoked Mechaba vs. Hand Traps rulings come from. Just because Breakthrough Skill's GY effect targets cards on the field doesn't mean it resolves on the field. I don't know whether it works like Skill Drain, but any Trap effect activated in the GY will work under Decree
Buy Floowandereeze

DarkPhenix

Post #4 by DarkPhenix » Thu May 20, 2021 3:47 am

Breakthrough skill has 2 effects. A field effect and a GY effect. Royal Decree cannot negate cards activate in the GY as they are not on the field
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Return to “Rulings Q&A”