"when" card effect and chain

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
janjibomb

"when" card effect and chain

Post #1 by janjibomb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:13 am

dumb question but if a card has a "when" in it's eff, like dark beckoning beast, and I chain torrential to destroy it, does the "when" eff miss timing?

DarkPhenix

Post #2 by DarkPhenix » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am

Torrential Tribute is a trap and is a quick effect. This effect is classified as a spell speed 2. Trigger effects like Dark Beckoning Beast, activate first (as they are trigger effects) then once all trigger effects are done being activated, Torrential Tribute will have the ability to activate. Any cards activated in this specific chain (the chain that occurs immediately after a monster is summoned), is considered in response to the summon. To visualize this better, check out the fast effect timing chart: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Fast_effect_timing

Go to Box A.

When a monster is summoned, it is an action that does not start a chain, so we then proceed to box the blue box on the left.

The yellow box are for effects like Dark Beckoning Beast.

Afterwards, we go to box B and C, all the while following proper chaining procedures in Box D.

In Box D, we resolve the chain, and if after the chain is resolved, there are no more effects to activate, we go back to box A

Hoped this helped!

Sincerely,

DarkPhenix
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #3 by Ir0n » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:12 pm

janjibomb wrote:dumb question but if a card has a "when" in it's eff, like dark beckoning beast, and I chain torrential to destroy it, does the "when" eff miss timing?

In your example, no you cannot chain torrential Tribute before Beckoning Beast will be able to activate, so you wouldn't make it miss timing.

If you let's say had a card that had an effect to make you perform the Normal Summon of Dark Beckoning Beast, "then" deal 1000 damage to your opponent, this would make it miss timing because the same card would have resolved something after the Normal Summon, but before the new chain in which Beast would normally activate.

I hope I didn't confuse you any more than you might have already been ^^'

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Of course, mandatory effects don't miss timing, so the only wording that causes missed timings is "When ...: you can..."
Buy Floowandereeze

Return to “Rulings Q&A”