Traptrix Mantis Question

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
Renji Asuka

Traptrix Mantis Question

Post #1 by Renji Asuka » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:52 am

So I was working on a Traptrix deck with new support throwing an old engine that proved to be good for the deck being (Artifacts) and I just realized something. Unless I'm mistaken here I think I stumbled upon something interesting. But first let me introduce the card for the idea.

Traptrix Mantis
Level 4 Earth Insect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Traptrix" monster from your Deck to your hand. Unaffected by the effects of "Hole" Normal Traps. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Set Spell/Trap you control; return that target to the hand, then you can Set 1 Spell/Trap from your hand.

Artifact Sanctum
Normal Trap
Special Summon 1 "Artifact" monster from your Deck. If this card in its owner's possession is destroyed by an opponent's card: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. You can only activate 1 "Artifact Sanctum" per turn. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card.

So let's say I have Traptrix Mantis on field as well as a Artifact Sanctum being set. It's my opponent's turn. My opponent Summons let's say Kuriboh I activate Traptrix Mantis to target my set Artifact Sanctum, I then chain Artifact Sanctum to Special Summon Artifact Moralltach. Then Mantis would return my Artifact Sanctum back to my hand.

Just to make sure, would this be the how Traptrix Mantis resolves? Or would Artifact Sanctum by activating make it lose target?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Activating Sanctum makes it lose its target, as indicated by "that target"
Buy Floowandereeze

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #3 by Lil Oldman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:07 pm

and what would happen in reverse? (Sanctum first and the Mantis, as IIRC, quick effs can be chained to traps)
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:and what would happen in reverse? (Sanctum first and the Mantis, as IIRC, quick effs can be chained to traps)

Sanctum is no longer Set, no longer a legal target for Mantis
Buy Floowandereeze

DarkPhenix

Post #5 by DarkPhenix » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 pm

Mantis returns a set spell/trap card to the hand to set another spell/trap card. Issue is that, when a normal trap card is activated, it is "marked" to be sent to the GY (unless it says otherwise in the text ie Subterror Final Battle). When cards are marked to go to the GY, then it cannot be returned to the hand or deck (but it can be banished). Mantis will try to resolve as much as possible, but since Artifact Sanctum cannot return to the hand, Mantis also cannot set another spell/trap from the hand. Hopefully this clears it up!
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Return to “Rulings Q&A”