Activate vs Use

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
PooPoo_Man

Activate vs Use

Post #1 by PooPoo_Man » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

If my opponent uses ¨Solemn Strike¨ on the activation of ¨Unchained Twins - Sarama¨ can I use the effect of another ¨Unchained Twins - Sarama¨ on the field?

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #2 by Lil Oldman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm

No.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

DarkPhenix

Post #3 by DarkPhenix » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Activate v Use:

Activate: To use a card or effect that creates a chain link. Cards that are activated, can only be be activated when or if its condition is met (if any). Now, when a card is activated, if a user has a counter trap, they may negate the activation. This means the card was never treated as being on the field and the attempted activation failed (so the card is also considered to have not activated). That is why you can activate another lighting storm after the first one has been negated by Solemn Judgement.

Use: To attempt to activate a card or effect. It does not matter if the activation was successful. For example, Unchained Twins - Sarama states that "you can only use the effect of Unchained Twins - Sarama" once per turn. If the activation of Sarama was negated by Solemn Strike, the card's effect is still considered to have been used and one cannot activate the same effect of Sarama for the rest of the turn (even with a different copy)

Hopefully this helps!
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Return to “Rulings Q&A”