Can I chain borreload's attack decreasing effect to its own attack declaration to chainblock my opponent?

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
! Cinnamon
Mood:

Can I chain borreload's attack decreasing effect to its own attack declaration to chainblock my opponent?

Post #1 by ! Cinnamon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:17 am

Title >.<
Nothing is evil which is according to nature

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #2 by Lil Oldman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:51 am

I think you can
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Pharaoh
Mood:

Post #3 by Pharaoh » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:54 am

Yes, you can, but since you're using on its own attack declaration, your opponent are allowed to respond with someting in the Damage step.
Ruling Guru

DarkPhenix

Post #4 by DarkPhenix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Borreload has 2 effects. The effect to decrease the attack of a monster and the effect to take a monster. The effect to decrease the effect of a monster is a quick effect that cannot be responded to. The effect to steal a monster is a trigger effect that activates in the damage step and can be responded to.

One things to address: There is no such thing as a "chain block." What you are suggesting is that you can chain the quick effect to the trigger effect before any effects can be used. That cannot happen. Players call the ability to chain multiple trigger effects together in one chain (SEGOC) before the opponent may respond as "chain blocking."

The answer to your question is this: You may use the trigger effect at the beginning of the damage step. Your opponent may respond to that effect if they have effects they can use. After your opponents decides to respond or the lack thereof and passes priority, you may use the quick effect, before damage calculation is entered. If you attempt to use the attack decrease effect first, then you cannot use the trigger effect as you missed the opportunity to use the effect.

Hopefully this clears things up. If you need any references make sure to review the fast effect timing chart: https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay ... iming.html
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Return to “Rulings Q&A”