Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon flipped over ruling question

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
! Cinnamon
Mood:

Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon flipped over ruling question

Post #1 by ! Cinnamon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:40 am

I was dueling My friend and He was using ghost tricks and it resulted in flipping over My dragoon into face-down defense position. During My next turn I flip it back over and I understand that its attack modification is reset to the original 3000. My question is, can I no longer use its first effect:

"You can destroy 1 monster Your opponent controls, and if You do, inflict damage to Your opponent equal to that monster's original ATK. You can use this effect a number of times per turn up to the number of Normal Monsters used as Fusion Material for this card. "

As this card would now be flip summoned, is the card no longer considered to have been summoned using those fusion material? My friend believes that is the case and He's probably right, but wanted to double check.

Thanks.
Nothing is evil which is according to nature

DarkPhenix

Post #2 by DarkPhenix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:12 am

When Dragoon is flipped face down, then flipped face-up again, the card will remember the generic way it was summoned (ie fusion) and it will also remember that is was flip summoned too. The thing is, Dragoon will forget the specific materials used for the summon and therefore will be unable to use the effect: You can destroy 1 monster Your opponent controls, and if You do, inflict damage to Your opponent equal to that monster's original ATK. You can use this effect a number of times per turn up to the number of Normal Monsters used as Fusion Material for this card. " . Hopefully this helps
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Return to “Rulings Q&A”