Targeting Cards "marked for graveyard"

If you have a ruling question related to the game, search for it here, or ask it if no one else has yet.
mevakama

Targeting Cards "marked for graveyard"

Post #1 by mevakama » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 pm

The classic example of this is evenly matched. So Evenly cl1 TwTw cl2. I know that TwTw technically can't target either evenly or itself, but I don't know the exact reasoning. I just had an opponent attempt something similar where it was cl1 called by cl2 Pleiades targeting called by, and it was ruled this can't occur. Would anyone be able to fill me in on the logic?

Along the same vein, what if nightmare unicorn targets a card to spin, then that card is chained. What is supposed to occur there?

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Actually, you can MST Evenly before it resolves, causing you to lose your entire board. Also, if a card is chained to a bounce/spin effect and it becomes "marked for graveyard" it goes to the GY. Otherwise, it would be possible to loop Spells/Traps with Pleiades
Buy Floowandereeze

mevakama

Post #3 by mevakama » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 am

MST on evenly would leave MST on field at evenly resolution, would it not?

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #4 by Ir0n » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:02 am

mevakama wrote:MST on evenly would leave MST on field at evenly resolution, would it not?

Yes, but since Evenly would be no longer on the field I'll assume that the player that activated it now controls 0 cards, meaning the player who activated MST (given they are NOT the same player) would lose all of their cards on the field.

mevakama

Post #5 by mevakama » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Ir0n wrote:
mevakama wrote:MST on evenly would leave MST on field at evenly resolution, would it not?

Yes, but since Evenly would be no longer on the field I'll assume that the player that activated it now controls 0 cards, meaning the player who activated MST (given they are NOT the same player) would lose all of their cards on the field.

Ok, but this still doesn't quite explain whether or not twin twisters can target evenly matched

greg503

Post #6 by greg503 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 pm

It can, because the destruction would send Evenly to the GY, you would not be able to target an activated Evenly with Pleiades because Pleiades cannot return Evenly to the hand
Buy Floowandereeze

chris91

Post #7 by chris91 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 am

Twin Twisters(TwTw) can target Evenly without a problem.

One of the reasons why TwTw cannot target itself is that targeting cards to destroy needs to be done at activation; in simple words TwTw is not on the field until you have paid its cost and chosen its target(s).

Return to “Rulings Q&A”