Custom Cards

If you experience a glitch on the site, create a topic and tell us about it here
TKGriffiths

Custom Cards

Post #1 by TKGriffiths » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:25 am

Currently there's no option to decide whether a created fusion or ritual monster is an effect monster or not. Non-effect rituals and fusions do exist in the game. Adding 'effect' as an option under Ability would be a quick and easy fix for this issue.

Also, ritual monsters I've already created seem to be randomly switching between having 'effect' on the card and not having it. Given that I'm currently making ritual monsters that have flavor text but no effect, I would want 'effect' not to appear right now. But of course most people (and myself in the future) will intend to create ritual monsters that are also effect monsters so the option needs to be there.

Also on the edit card page there is a spelling mistake, 'catetory' instead of 'category'.

XtevensChannel

Post #2 by XtevensChannel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 am

'Effect' will show up as long as the card is worded properly, including the "2+ monsters" like text on the first line.

TKGriffiths

Post #3 by TKGriffiths » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 am

XtevensChannel wrote:'Effect' will show up as long as the card is worded properly, including the "2+ monsters" like text on the first line.

All the rituals that I've created so far with flavor text and nothing else have shown up as non-effect monsters (which is exactly what I want). With one random exception (Flame Swordsman) which shows as an effect monster. You can check out my cards by searching (cube) to confirm this.

I realize that my cards aren't designed properly BTW, they're for a variant of the game I've made up which has different rules. I would like to be able to manually differentiate between effect rituals and non-effect rituals though because that's a relevant distinction for gameplay purposes even in the original game. Maybe a tick box to toggle it like the system for toggling whether a card is a pendulum or not?

I'm guessing this bug also applies to Fusions, Synchros, XYZs and Links which can exist as non-effect monsters, but I won't be making any of those myself.

This whole custom card thing is a really cool feature for my purposes BTW, so thanks for putting in the effort to make it happen. This is a minor issue in an otherwise very efficient system.

Corrin

Post #4 by Corrin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 am

TKGriffiths wrote:
XtevensChannel wrote:'Effect' will show up as long as the card is worded properly, including the "2+ monsters" like text on the first line.

All the rituals that I've created so far with flavor text and nothing else have shown up as non-effect monsters (which is exactly what I want). With one random exception (Flame Swordsman) which shows as an effect monster. You can check out my cards by searching (cube) to confirm this.

I realize that my cards aren't designed properly BTW, they're for a variant of the game I've made up which has different rules. I would like to be able to manually differentiate between effect rituals and non-effect rituals though because that's a relevant distinction for gameplay purposes even in the original game. Maybe a tick box to toggle it like the system for toggling whether a card is a pendulum or not?

I'm guessing this bug also applies to Fusions, Synchros, XYZs and Links which can exist as non-effect monsters, but I won't be making any of those myself.

This whole custom card thing is a really cool feature for my purposes BTW, so thanks for putting in the effort to make it happen. This is a minor issue in an otherwise very efficient system.

If they aren't designed properly you can't expect them to work properly. I'm sorry to say it's on you, and not a bug.

As far as Ritual goes, after the first period/full stop whatever you want to call it, DB assumes it's an effect monster, since Ritual Monster's effects usually start with the line "You can Ritual Summon this card with "[Insert Ritual Spell here]".", and as such, DB is assuming that the effect is written for it to be an effect monster. Non-effect Rituals don't have flavour text in their effects, so there's no real need for DB to add this in any other way than it currently is.

Fusion, Link, Synchro and Xyz become effect monsters the second you press enter for a line break in the card text, as the standard method for writing these is their summoning condition followed by their effect on the next line. As long as you don't press enter for a line break, it will never become an effect monster.

tl;dr, as Xteven said, it does it based on whether the card is worded properly, and since there is flavour text that includes a full stop half way through on your exception, DB is assuming it is worded correctly.

TKGriffiths

Post #5 by TKGriffiths » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 am

Corrin wrote:As far as Ritual goes, after the first period/full stop whatever you want to call it, DB assumes it's an effect monster, since Ritual Monster's effects usually start with the line "You can Ritual Summon this card with "[Insert Ritual Spell here]".", and as such, DB is assuming that the effect is written for it to be an effect monster. Non-effect Rituals don't have flavour text in their effects, so there's no real need for DB to add this in any other way than it currently is.

Fusion, Link, Synchro and Xyz become effect monsters the second you press enter for a line break in the card text, as the standard method for writing these is their summoning condition followed by their effect on the next line. As long as you don't press enter for a line break, it will never become an effect monster.

Thanks that's very useful. I can see that there's no bug, and there's an easy fix I can implement on my cards.

The only potential hole I can see in this system is if you have a card with name issues such as Summoned Skull and require text such as (This card is always treated as an "Archfiend" card.) after the line break.

Corrin

Post #6 by Corrin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 am

Normal Monsters don't work in the same way, as there is a specific setting to make those.

TKGriffiths

Post #7 by TKGriffiths » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Corrin wrote:Normal Monsters don't work in the same way, as there is a specific setting to make those.

Summoned Skull happens to be a normal monster, my point is that kind of text isn't exclusive to normal monsters.

Written on cards such as non-effect Synchros, Rituals, Fusions, XYZs, Links, it would turn them into effect monsters on this system.

Corrin

Post #8 by Corrin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 am

Thing about that is, non-effect versions of those types of monsters don't normally have card text - it's a very specific example that's hardly seen even within the actual released cards, so it doesn't matter, just input a ton of spaces until it reaches the last line. No point changing something entirely for an exception that not many people will do.

TKGriffiths

Post #9 by TKGriffiths » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:27 am

Corrin wrote:Thing about that is, non-effect versions of those types of monsters don't normally have card text - it's a very specific example that's hardly seen even within the actual released cards, so it doesn't matter, just input a ton of spaces until it reaches the last line. No point changing something entirely for an exception that not many people will do.

If the system recognizes spacing down the lines differently to using enter and doesn't tag it as an effect monster, then that's already a workaround to solve the problem anyway. The only thing that slips through the net would be a non-effect ritual monster with a name modifier which approximately 0 people will ever make as you say.

Corrin

Post #10 by Corrin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Then there's absolutely no issue

Return to “Report Glitch”