Custom Card Features

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Christen57

Re: Custom Card Features

Post #21 by Christen57 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 pm

Shugunou wrote:If you don't believe me that the text limit needs to be increased, heres the card. It is only 1 character away from text limit. https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1466175

Okay, first and foremost, just change the name of the card to "Mad Mew Mew, the Neko Cat" or something and remove the "Always a cat/neko" clause from it's text. That alone will save a nice amount of space while still keeping it as a cat/neko like you want.

Secondly, if you want it to have "no DEF" then just give a defense value of zero and remove the "Has no DEF" thing from it's text. That too will save valuable space.

Third, it makes no sense to have an effect that cuts a monster's ATK and DEF in half but then make it so that the ATK and DEF immediately return to their original values when battling a token, so the part where it reduces ATK and DEF in half and the part where the target "gains ATK = the ATK of the Token" should both be removed.

Fourth, I can understand having tokens that copy ATK, DEF, Levels, Types, and/or Attributes of other monsters, but I don't see the point in having tokens that copy names of opponents' monsters, so the token should just be given a name of it's own while still copying all of the other things of a monster.

Fifth, it doesn't make much sense to have a monster who's ATK is already extremely high be immune to both battle and card effect destruction by other cards.

Now, as for the card text, I would change it from this:

Cannot be normal summoned/set. You can SS this card from your Hand/Deck if a "Dummy" card you controls destroyed. Has no DEF. Cannot be destroyed by other cards. You take 0 damage from battles with this card. OPT, you can target 1 opponent's monster; halve its ATK/DEF/LV; SS 1 Token with the targeted card's name/attribute/type. The token's ATK/DEF/LV is the current ATK/DEF/LV of the targeted monster post halving it. The Token cannot change its battle position, attack, be used as material of summons, or be tributed except by this card's effects. If the targeted card attacks, it gains ATK = the ATK of the Token. The Token is unaffected by other card effects except this card's. If the targeted monster leaves field, destroy the token. If this card leaves field, tribute the token; the targeted card gains the ATK/DEF/LV of that the token had on the field. If a opponent attacks this card 3 times, they can either destroy this card or shuffle it into the deck.

to this:

Cannot be Normal summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or Deck) by having a "Dummy" card in your GY that was destroyed and sent there this turn. You take no battle damage from attacks involving this card. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Special Summon 1 "Something Something Token Whatever You Wanna Call It" with the same Type, Attribute, Level, ATK, and DEF as that target. This Token is unaffected by the effects of cards other than this card, it cannot attack, change its battle position, or be used as Fusion, Synchro, or Link Material, also destroy it when that target leaves field. If this face-up card leaves field: Tribute 1 Token; 1 face-up monster your opponent controls gains ATK/DEF equal to the ATK/DEF the Tributed monster had on the field. If this face-up card is targeted for an attack, and was targeted for an attack 3 or more times this turn: Your opponent can either destroy it or shuffle it into the Deck.

That being said, I'm personally not a fan of token-generating customs unless they are necessary for the archetype to function, like with Mecha Phantom Beasts, because they tend to make things confusing since their ATK/DEF cannot be visually seen or manually edited so you have to manually keep track of it's ATK/DEF in your head or something. I would rather just either make it so that the token always has 0 ATK/DEF so you don't have to manually keep track of it like with the Mecha Phantom Beast tokens or Linkross tokens, or make it so that the card special summoning the token special summoned a regular random normal monster from the hand, deck, or gy instead of a token, like with The Agent of Creation - Venus, so at least then you can visually see the monster's ATK and DEF value.

Renji Asuka

Post #22 by Renji Asuka » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 am

"Secondly, if you want it to have "no DEF" then just give a defense value of zero and remove the "Has no DEF" thing from it's text. That too will save valuable space." - Christen57

At that point, just make it a link monster lol
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Shugunou

Post #23 by Shugunou » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:48 pm

I understand, but the name is meant to be accurate to the game and the token is supposed to represent the ability to split your soul in half. I want it to be a main deck monster. The "no DEF" means that it cannot be in defense position like a link monster. Basically, a main deck link monster that does not have arrows. It is also immune to destruction because in the game, Mad Mew Mew is still incorporeal meaning she cannot be killed by damaging her. However, you have to attack her to progress the battle. Doing so simply makes her head come off, which she puts back on. Without the token, the card does not function properly. The point of it is to bring the Mad Mew Mew fight into Yugioh.

Shugunou

Post #24 by Shugunou » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:50 pm

The "cat/neko" clause is there because it is an archetype in the Anime and I want to take into consideration as many archetypes as possible when making customs.

Shugunou

Post #25 by Shugunou » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Also, I always use "SS" instead of "Special Summon" since people know what it means and it saves a lot of room. Personally, I think Konami should do something like that. They made the "Graveyard" the "GY" so why not do it with Special Summons?

Shugunou

Post #26 by Shugunou » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:53 pm

The archetype already has over 90 cards in it so I do not want to make any more unless absolutely needed.

Christen57

Post #27 by Christen57 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Shugunou wrote:I understand, but the name is meant to be accurate to the game and the token is supposed to represent the ability to split your soul in half. I want it to be a main deck monster. The "no DEF" means that it cannot be in defense position like a link monster. Basically, a main deck link monster that does not have arrows. It is also immune to destruction because in the game, Mad Mew Mew is still incorporeal meaning she cannot be killed by damaging her. However, you have to attack her to progress the battle. Doing so simply makes her head come off, which she puts back on. Without the token, the card does not function properly. The point of it is to bring the Mad Mew Mew fight into Yugioh.

You can have a name "accurate to the game" without wasting extra space on an effect that makes a card a certain thing. If her name is "Mad Mew Mew" in the game, and you want here to be a neko cat, just make her "Mad Mew Mew, the Neko Cat". She's still Mad Mew Mew, but she is also a Neko Cat.

It still doesn't make sense to split a "soul in half" when it immediately restores that attack and defense value back to normal.

Why does it matter if it gets put in defense since you want to make it immune to destruction anyway?

Shugunou wrote:The "cat/neko" clause is there because it is an archetype in the Anime and I want to take into consideration as many archetypes as possible when making customs.

Wait, so does this mean you want it to be a neko cat or not?

Shugunou wrote:The archetype already has over 90 cards in it so I do not want to make any more unless absolutely needed.

Going over 90 cards is far too much for 1 custom archetype. You won't even have enough room in the main deck, side deck, and extra deck combined for over 90 cards, since the main deck can only hold up to 60 cards, the side deck can only hold up to 15 cards, and the extra deck can also only hold up to 15 cards, giving you a total of 90 slots assuming you only use 1 copy of each card, so not only is your deck going to be inconsistent like crazy due to you playing all 1-ofs in a 60-card main deck, but you still won't have any room for any of those extra cards afterwards. Archetypes on average should have around 5 to 50 cards. The only archetypes with over 90 cards are usually anime protagonists' archetypes like Yuya with Performapals, or Jaden with HEROs.

Renji Asuka

Post #28 by Renji Asuka » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 am

Shugunou wrote:Also, I always use "SS" instead of "Special Summon" since people know what it means and it saves a lot of room. Personally, I think Konami should do something like that. They made the "Graveyard" the "GY" so why not do it with Special Summons?

Konami won't do that, simply because Synchro Summon can be SS.

Shugunou

Post #29 by Shugunou » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Shugunou wrote:I understand, but the name is meant to be accurate to the game and the token is supposed to represent the ability to split your soul in half. I want it to be a main deck monster. The "no DEF" means that it cannot be in defense position like a link monster. Basically, a main deck link monster that does not have arrows. It is also immune to destruction because in the game, Mad Mew Mew is still incorporeal meaning she cannot be killed by damaging her. However, you have to attack her to progress the battle. Doing so simply makes her head come off, which she puts back on. Without the token, the card does not function properly. The point of it is to bring the Mad Mew Mew fight into Yugioh.

You can have a name "accurate to the game" without wasting extra space on an effect that makes a card a certain thing. If her name is "Mad Mew Mew" in the game, and you want here to be a neko cat, just make her "Mad Mew Mew, the Neko Cat". She's still Mad Mew Mew, but she is also a Neko Cat.

It still doesn't make sense to split a "soul in half" when it immediately restores that attack and defense value back to normal.

Why does it matter if it gets put in defense since you want to make it immune to destruction anyway?

Shugunou wrote:The "cat/neko" clause is there because it is an archetype in the Anime and I want to take into consideration as many archetypes as possible when making customs.

Wait, so does this mean you want it to be a neko cat or not?

Shugunou wrote:The archetype already has over 90 cards in it so I do not want to make any more unless absolutely needed.

Going over 90 cards is far too much for 1 custom archetype. You won't even have enough room in the main deck, side deck, and extra deck combined for over 90 cards, since the main deck can only hold up to 60 cards, the side deck can only hold up to 15 cards, and the extra deck can also only hold up to 15 cards, giving you a total of 90 slots assuming you only use 1 copy of each card, so not only is your deck going to be inconsistent like crazy due to you playing all 1-ofs in a 60-card main deck, but you still won't have any room for any of those extra cards afterwards. Archetypes on average should have around 5 to 50 cards. The only archetypes with over 90 cards are usually anime protagonists' archetypes like Yuya with Performapals, or Jaden with HEROs.

I understand that. It can't be in Defense because in the game, it has no DEF stat since DEF is never applied as it can't take damage. It isn't a "neko cat" because it is an animatronic doll in the game. It is only a "cat" and "neko" as it is based on the fictional anime series "Mew Mew Kissy Cutie" in which Mew Mew (the character the doll is modeled after) is a cat girl which would mean it only makes sense to be part of the cat/neko archetype.

Shugunou

Post #30 by Shugunou » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:56 pm

There are over 90 cards because there are so many characters in the game and I wanted to add them all. The archetype has enough variety to let you play 40 cards if you want to but also is surprising consistent at 60, despite almost no searchers or draw cards. It is similar to the game where you have many different choices you can make each with different results, none of which are objectively the wrong one. Mad Mew Mew is hardly the weirdest one as there are cards with negative stats which is only possible with LV normally and only with Dark Synchros and Dark Tuners or the card Dark Wave. There are probably at least 100 cards, but I chose 90 since it is the max number of cards you can play per recipe.

Shugunou

Post #31 by Shugunou » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:57 pm

If you want to understand the effect better, here's a link to the fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__y5gyJZKw

greg503

Post #32 by greg503 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 pm

https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1666409 This card is almost every effect you put on it, with mostly good PSCT. Also if you want to make your Undertale archtype all flavor, then use other card makers, or don't complain about text limits. I would assume the intent of DB custom cards are to use them in games and there is only so much that players want to read on any given card. Overall, I rate 6/10 for cringe
Buy Floowandereeze

Shugunou

Post #33 by Shugunou » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 am

If I use other card makers, I can't play with the cards. Maybe if we didn't have to worry about Covid. I already made all 90+ cards accurate to the game, so it wouldn't make sense to not have this one accurate as well. I am not going to alter the effects of 90+ cards just because people don't want to read.

Christen57

Post #34 by Christen57 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:20 am

Shugunou wrote:If I use other card makers, I can't play with the cards. Maybe if we didn't have to worry about Covid. I already made all 90+ cards accurate to the game, so it wouldn't make sense to not have this one accurate as well. I am not going to alter the effects of 90+ cards just because people don't want to read.

Why would you want people to read 90+ different cards that all have long texts??

Also, if Mad Mew Mew isn't a neko cat, then just don't make it a neko cat in the name or in it's effect.

greg503

Post #35 by greg503 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm fine with flavorful cards and decks, but I wouldn't consider you 90+ Undertale cards to be a single deck/archtype, especially considering Mad Mew Mew needs Dummys, which not all Undertale characters are. Also, if you need more text, split the effects over 2 or more cards. For example, you could have an Extra Deck monster that represents the "half token" mechanic of Mad Mew Mew.
Buy Floowandereeze

Shugunou

Post #36 by Shugunou » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:53 pm

The archetype wasn't meant to be all in one deck. It was meant to have multiple options for you to choose. The archetype has 2 dummies. I could try the extra deck idea, but the fact that it is limited to 3 copies might be an issue.

Shugunou

Post #37 by Shugunou » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 pm

I still want to use "SS" since I already have it on all my other cards.

Renji Asuka

Post #38 by Renji Asuka » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Shugunou wrote:I still want to use "SS" since I already have it on all my other cards.

Well stop, its not proper PSCT.

Shugunou

Post #39 by Shugunou » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 am

I wasn't the first to use it. DuelLogs did first.

greg503

Post #40 by greg503 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:02 pm

As long as Synchro Summon is something like SynS
Buy Floowandereeze

Return to “Suggestions”