How can i delete my account ?

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
DatGuy

How can i delete my account ?

Post #1 by DatGuy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi , my question is simple how can i delete my account?
If someone can help me i will be grateful thanks.

DatGuy

Post #2 by DatGuy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm

If not possible i would like to say something. In case of a DDOS attack to this site or a breach my personal data connected to this account such as my email can be exploited , and that would bother me. I hope that another solution would be possible instead of do something to get banned. Again i will be grateful if an admin can reply to this post and help me whit my issue.

Genexwrecker

Post #3 by Genexwrecker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Accounts cannot be deleted and please do not break site rules just for the sake of it to get a ban that won’t delete ur account either
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

DatGuy

Post #4 by DatGuy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:26 pm

So what should i do if the events described above should happen ?

DatGuy

Post #5 by DatGuy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:40 pm

And if i may ask why is not possible to delete my account ? It's a privacy matter, and the option to remove my sensible data from this site have to exist. Despite my trust in the admins and the people that provide cybersecurity to this site , knowing what happend to a very similar website concern me. Anyway thanks for the answers , and i hope that this problem will be resolved.

Genexwrecker

Post #6 by Genexwrecker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:15 pm

it’s your responsibility to keep your information safe. Db doesn’t save your data

BrainStone

Post #7 by BrainStone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Current EU laws require you to provide a possibility to delete an account. And even if you claim to be a site soley under US law, I don't think that would hold up in a court due to the international (read nothing indicates that this is a site soley target at non EU-citizens) make up of the site.

And regardless. What's wrong with letting people delete their accounts?

Genexwrecker

Post #8 by Genexwrecker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:31 pm

BrainStone wrote:Current EU laws require you to provide a possibility to delete an account. And even if you claim to be a site soley under US law, I don't think that would hold up in a court due to the international (read nothing indicates that this is a site soley target at non EU-citizens) make up of the site.

Good luck serving papers for a summons

DatGuy

Post #9 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:43 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
BrainStone wrote:Current EU laws require you to provide a possibility to delete an account. And even if you claim to be a site soley under US law, I don't think that would hold up in a court due to the international (read nothing indicates that this is a site soley target at non EU-citizens) make up of the site.

Good luck serving papers for a summons

I never talked about sue this site or something like this. Btw BrainStone is right.And i can see a lot of EU-citizens users on this site,indeed i have found that there are quite a few users that comes specifically from my country.
However , seen that i can't ask for my account to be delete , may i ask again why ?
And why the staff have to respond to this requests in such an harsh way ?

BrainStone

Post #10 by BrainStone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am

Never said anything abiut suing. Just saying you might get in trouble for that. Why is everyone's reaction to "Hey, you know you're breaking current laws, so you might want change that" "Good luck suing me".
And as a side note. You won't get a summons. You'll get a fine. The agencies resposnible for that stuff have the authority to send out fines. Not paying them is what would get you a summons. While you ultimately never would have to pay if you stayed outside of the EU, the site might get blocked.

But again. I don't want you to be in trouble. All I wanted to say with brining that up is that you are violating law that is applicable to you and that you might want to implement such a basic feature. Even if there were no laws regarding that.
I mean unless you were selling user data, deleting accounts would be in your best interest. As that reduces the data stored (I'm strictly talking about users that don't want to play anymore.)

I'd still like to know the reasoning behind not having a delete functionality.

And yes, you do save data. Primarily the email address and an associated password. And furthermore a username. Might not sound like much, but in the case of a breach that is enough to have the victims of the breach receive spam mail and other accounts breached.

DatGuy

Post #11 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm

BrainStone wrote: I'd still like to know the reasoning behind not having a delete functionality.

Apparently there is a "no comment" policy around that question. Maybe this site was cursed by a witch whit a "No delete account option " spell back when it was founded.......

Genexwrecker

Post #12 by Genexwrecker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:24 pm

As I have told the people before who have actually posted those eu laws you have to read them

Genexwrecker

Post #13 by Genexwrecker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Also there is some confusion firstly they are not your username or password and an email is not private info or your property. An email is a service another company provides. an ip address is also not private info

DatGuy

Post #14 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:As I have told the people before who have actually posted those eu laws you have to read them

Whit all due respect , this is not a response.
I've read those laws and they confirm what BrainStone was saying. Anyway even whitout those laws my question is still not answered. Why an user can't delete an account on this site ?
Due to the "answers" received in this thread , i am driven to belive that this site is selling our data.

Anyway what part of "you can ask for your personal data to be deleted when, for example, the data that the company holds about you is no longer necessary" (that is the semplification of the Eu-Laws mentioned above) are incorrect / we are misunderstanding ?

Even US registered website such as Facebook, Tweetter and Instagram have the option to delete the account and remove sensible data from their servers, so again, my question is ( and this time i hope to receive a real answer) what's so different in this site compared to the other mentioned above that makes impossible to delete an account ?

DatGuy

Post #15 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:Also there is some confusion firstly they are not your username or password and an email is not private info or your property. An email is a service another company provides. an ip address is also not private info

My username and password of this site are not mine username and password of this site ? Mh interesting .....
Anyway if email and ip adress are not private info why you feel the need to hold them ?
Is my assumption that this site is selling this information to other companies correct?
Can i have an answer at least to this questions ?
Again, whit all due respect but these "answers" are not only unsatisfactory but also made whit rudeness.

Genexwrecker

Post #16 by Genexwrecker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:24 pm

DatGuy wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:Also there is some confusion firstly they are not your username or password and an email is not private info or your property. An email is a service another company provides. an ip address is also not private info

My username and password of this site are not mine username and password of this site ? Mh interesting .....
Anyway if email and ip adress are not private info why you feel the need to hold them ?
Is my assumption that this site is selling this information to other companies correct?
Can i have an answer at least to this questions ?
Again, whit all due respect but these "answers" are not only unsatisfactory but also made whit rudeness.
we literally wouldn’t even have a way to sell info even if we had it. We also cannot tell what emails you sign up with nor can we look it up. That’s why we don’t have a recovery system. An IP address is like your real life address it’s publicly available for those who actually care and people have it on the front of their homes. You can choose to have your browser remember your log in.

BrainStone

Post #17 by BrainStone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:29 pm

According to current EU regulations, yes both are (email addresses and IPs) are (usernames are debatable btw. It depends on the context whether they count or not) personal data. Read for yourself: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/what-personal-data_en

But even if they weren't. That still doesn't answer why it's not currently possible.

Genexwrecker wrote:An IP address is like your real life address it’s publicly available for those who actually care and people have it on the front of their homes. You can choose to have your browser remember your log in.

Funnily enough home addresses count as personal data too. You may dislike that all you want, but facts are facts. (I find it stupid too, btw. Doesn't change that they are considered personal data).
Last edited by BrainStone on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DatGuy

Post #18 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Genexwrecker wrote: We also cannot tell what emails you sign up with nor can we look it up. That’s why we don’t have a recovery system.

So everytime i log in and a message asking me to confirm my mail pop up (also whit my current email adress written in it ) i am simply hallucinating or some hacker is tryng to scam me ?

Idk it's this all a prank ?
The question "Why i can't delete my account ?" remain not answered. I would have sincerely prefer an answer like "Cause we don't want to so just shut up DatGuy" or "Cause we have no time to implement this function" or just "Cause we are lazy" than this silence and changing the subject of the conversation.

Genexwrecker

Post #19 by Genexwrecker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:14 pm

DatGuy wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote: We also cannot tell what emails you sign up with nor can we look it up. That’s why we don’t have a recovery system.

So everytime i log in and a message asking me to confirm my mail pop up (also whit my current email adress written in it ) i am simply hallucinating or some hacker is tryng to scam me ?

Idk it's this all a prank ?
The question "Why i can't delete my account ?" remain not answered. I would have sincerely prefer an answer like "Cause we don't want to so just shut up DatGuy" or "Cause we have no time to implement this function" or just "Cause we are lazy" than this silence and changing the subject of the conversation.

If we were to delete an account we would lose all history of that account including games and warnings. Then they could just make a new account with a fresh start and avoid harsher penalties.

DatGuy

Post #20 by DatGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Genexwrecker wrote: If we were to delete an account we would lose all history of that account including games and warnings. Then they could just make a new account with a fresh start and avoid harsher penalties.

Thank you , finally , now i am satisfied even if that is still a problem. Have you tried to check the IP adress and interrelate the penalties to that. I know that some website do this way to prevent this kind of problems. I know that there are a lot of users therfore a lot of IP adress to check but whit some effort i think you can do it ,so this way you can implement the function to delete accounts whitout allow to cheaters and other users that have warnings and penalties to avoid them. Still some sly would attempt to do it via VPN and other tricks , but i suppose that are very few people capable of tricking the system that way and not get caught . Just an advice btw.
About the matter of the email that you state you can't look up to and the statment about not having a recovery system while its clear that you have it , due to the message that i suppose pop up to everyone suggesting them to secure their account via confirming the email , i'll simply let it go , cause i don't want to spend more times arguing about this :)
Thanks again for the answer, if the option to delete account will be ever implemented please let me know it ....
Ciao Ciao.

Return to “Suggestions”