Duel Timers

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
CrystalMusic
Mood:

Duel Timers

Post #1 by CrystalMusic » Tue May 21, 2019 6:02 pm

I think adding an option for hosts of duel to enable a dueling timer would be a good idea. What is a dueling timer? simple: a preset timer for each player to make individual moves. To me if one takes more than 10 seconds to make one single move they are overthinking things OR they are testing something. BUT, if you know how the deck works and know each and every card in your deck, then IMO there should be no reason as to why you are taking longer than 10 seconds to make one single move. I think the host of a duel who selects to add a timer should be allowed to select how long each timer lasts starting with a minimum of 10 seconds, and a max of however long the host desires.

Let me give you an example of how a dueling timer would work:
lets say its me vs a random player who ill call player 2, now since I can move fast id only need 10 seconds for each individual move i make so i set the timers minimum setting to 10 seconds, duel starts:
Me: starts turn, Dueling timer starts counting down from 10 seconds. Sets a few traps, the timer will reset to 10 seconds since i made a move. Timer once again starts counting down from 10 to 0, summons a monster, timer resets to 10 seconds since i made another move. Ends turn.
Opponent: Turn starts, looks at hand as timer is counting down from 10, sets a few cards, timer resets to 10 seconds, sets a monster, timer once again resets to 10 seconds. Ends turn.

Now lets say a player does not make a move within those 10 seconds, i think one of the following would be an acceptable condition:
losses 100 LP instantly (losing 100 lp would be insignificant in any duel considering what most decks do these days) OR whatever you would deem acceptable or fair for failure to move a single move within the preset timers limit.

why i suggested this? its quite simple: people should know how their decks and each card in said deck works before joining someone in a duel. If they do not know how their decks work they can simply host their own duel with a duel note that says: testing, which means they are learning how their deck works, its combos, etc.
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Pfannkuchen

Post #2 by Pfannkuchen » Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 am

"Losing 100 LP"

Yeah, like that's totally how it is ruled in Real Life. 10 seconds is way too low btw, if you don't play like trash you might need up to 30 seconds in difficult situations. Disagree from my point of view, I hope this won't be changed. DB was always better than Percy since there is no Timer.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #3 by CrystalMusic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Pfannkuchen wrote:10 seconds is way too low btw, if you don't play like trash you might need up to 30 seconds in difficult situations. Disagree from my point of view, I hope this won't be changed. DB was always better than Percy since there is no Timer.

This is why i read my opponents cards the moment they play them, i read my opponents cards on their turn, and concentrate on my cards when its my turn.
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

xDEADCENTREx

Post #4 by xDEADCENTREx » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:25 pm

CrystalMusic wrote:
Pfannkuchen wrote:10 seconds is way too low btw, if you don't play like trash you might need up to 30 seconds in difficult situations. Disagree from my point of view, I hope this won't be changed. DB was always better than Percy since there is no Timer.

This is why i read my opponents cards the moment they play them, i read my opponents cards on their turn, and concentrate on my cards when its my turn.

Yeah that's you, not competitive users as they are frequently making sure they read things right, and can calculate how plays will go out, then commit to them with a series of plays. Often a competitive player will also be using more time (often more than 10 seconds) of thinking out their turn like a game of chess (Which play is the better to do, and what is my board when I finish and all goes as planned vs what happens if they react with (A, B, C, ETC), every calculation takes a bit more than ten seconds, and realistically you only got a Generic Timer.

Now I can see a Total Timer for the Duel being a possible side addition, but for long drawn out matches (I had one vs Flaming_Ice back on DN), where they can take up to 4 hours for a single match, the timer can be a huge disadvantage that neither player has control over.

Adding it as an option to the Duel, would seperate the pools from those using vs not using the timer, and cause legitimate pairing issues, and ways to boost.

TL DR if you want a Timer, then you are better off going to Dueling Nexus, and asking them to add a pool for Custom Card Creations, and using their timer. Dueling Book is the go to site for its manual aspects, and the site Developers and Users alike are not in the interest of a Timer, simply because that gears it for Automated Play, the last thing the people using the site what to occur to it.

TKGriffiths

Post #5 by TKGriffiths » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:52 pm

It sounds like you want to turn DB from a manual sim into an automatic one.

Players could just avoid the timer by moving a card back and forth between their grave and banished zone to avoid this anyway. The idea is also bogus because players are often thinking and performing actions during their opponent's turn which your system doesn't take into account.

Return to “Suggestions”