Harasser can message me but I can't reply back?

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Crimson7Reaper

Harasser can message me but I can't reply back?

Post #1 by Crimson7Reaper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 am

https://i.imgur.com/dUNYUth.png I thought Xteven fixed this kind of stuff. Why on earth can he message me if I can't message him back? What is this bullshit?

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #2 by __Blank__ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Change your settings via the main menu > settings.
Make it so only friends can message you.
Fixed.

Now stop blaming staff for your lack of understanding, you ingrate.

Crimson7Reaper

Post #3 by Crimson7Reaper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 pm

__Blank__ wrote:Change your settings via the main menu > settings.
Fixed.

That's not the point, he shouldn't be able to message me in the first place if I can't message him back aka he can only receive messages from friends. This is the same issue as when DB first started where someone could message another person and then block them from messaging back. And just like that issue, this issue should be fixed in the same manner.

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #4 by __Blank__ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Crimson7Reaper wrote:
__Blank__ wrote:Change your settings via the main menu > settings.
Fixed.

That's not the point, he shouldn't be able to message me in the first place if I can't message him back aka he can only receive messages from friends. This is the same issue as when DB first started where someone could message another person and then block them from messaging back. And just like that issue, this issue should be fixed in the same manner.

It's because of how the settings are coded into the site. It's something that occurs, and there is a work around called altering your OWN settings, but instead you'd rather be ignorant and state "that's not the point". Then what is the point? They are harassing you right? So edit your settings and prevent the issue. You likely do not even chat to people in PM that are not your friends, and you can PM others that do not have it set to "Friends only" even if you got your settings to "Friends only" and you can even block people, or add them to your list. If the user is truly harassing you, then BLOCK THEM. If you cannot block them due to them blocking/unblocking you in spam, then edit the settings so they are not a friend, and so you only get DMs from friends.

It has a human fix, and you refuse to use it.

rotomington

Post #5 by rotomington » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm

This does sound like a bug tbh. If you have your messages set to friends only, you should only be allowed to message your friends (admins excluded). Saying "It's coded that way and therefore it's your problem" is dumb. There shouldn't be any way that a chat platform is exclusively one way. Yes there is currently a workaround, but that's lazy on the dev's part to force it's users to a workaround for a flaw in their code

In honesty being able to message randoms without a friend request is dumb. It's asking to be abused someday by a bot.

Return to “Suggestions”